• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

breaking U-Joints

trump08

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys im having a problem with snapping my u-joints. I have a 99' XJ sport with a 4" Tuff Country lift on 33", but i have front coil spacers and extended rear shackles so i sit closer to 5.5" of lift. everything else is stock but im having problems with my rear drive shaft. I will be driving and my rear drive shaft will literally fall out because of broken U-joints. This has happened twice to me now. Im wondering if its because my rear pinion angle is wrong or because the u-joints are just crappy quality. Post up if you have any ideas or need any more info on the rig. thanks

transfer case drop at all? the angle of the shaft is probably killing the u-joints. time to upgrade to a SYE and new shaft

Do you have blocks in the rear?

ok thats what i kinda figured. yea i have a t-case drop but its not a whole lot..its what came with the lift. so do you think i would be ok with just a sye and new shaft or will i need adjustable upper and lower CAs?

adjustable CA's?!?!? that has nothin to do with the rear. SYE and new shaft with a properly shimmed rear axle should solve all your problems

hey sorry i put CAs in there. I have a TJ and im just posting up for my buddy. Im not used to leaf springs : D And ill try to get some pics so you guys can check it out

hey guys my buddy is having a problem with snapping his u-joints. He has have a 99' XJ sport with a 4" Tuff Country lift on 33", but he has front coil spacers and extended rear shackles so he sit closer to 5.5" of lift. everything else is stock but he is having problems with his rear drive shaft. He will be driving and his rear drive shaft will literally fall out because of broken U-joints. This has happened twice to him now. Im wondering if its because his rear pinion angle is wrong or because the u-joints are just crappy quality. Post up if you have any ideas or need any more info on the rig. thanks
fixeded

A common problem is axle wrap causing ujoint binding. This is caused either from using lift blocks or having shot leaf springs.

make sure the little tabs that hold the u joint centered are not broken off.

A few things can cause it.
It all starts with a bad drive line angle.
Then when a u-joint goes it spreads the yoke.
That same busted u-joint will strech the straps.
So unless youve replaced the yoke and used new straps then one of those is probably the cause.

5.5" lift and stock rear shaft?

get SYE now

/thread.

Exactly. I wouldn't even worry about anything else before you get this. With a 5.5" lift, you'll need 4 or 6 degree axle shims as well. Once that is all done, all the problems should be fixed.

I went with the Advance Adapters SYE with the HD 32 spline tailshaft, and eventually bought a Tom Woods driveshaft (10x more beefy than a stock front XJ shaft). Shim the axle and you are good to go.

Back