• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice..... water inside XJ!!!!

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
OK,
So I guess I need to address my water issue. This is on a 89 XJ. I thought my windshield just leaked from the top, which I thought I would reseal when it gets warmer, but now I think I have other "issues"

I drove the car to work, dried off the inside of the windshield, since there was water all over it, and ran the defroster, window was clear when I got to work.

So after the car sitting in the sun for a few hours, the windshield was all wet again on the inside. I know that the condensation must be from water inside, so I must have water coming in some where!!! The floors don't seem wet, so I thought I would ask the experts here on where I should look for "major" water leaks. I am aware that a XJ is not the greatest sealed vehicle, but my 90 does not have the same issues.

Any advice on where to start and which direction to go would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob:laugh2:

OK,
So I guess I need to address my water issue. This is on a 89 XJ. I thought my windshield just leaked from the top, which I thought I would reseal when it gets warmer, but now I think I have other "issues"

I drove the car to work, dried off the inside of the windshield, since there was water all over it, and ran the defroster, window was clear when I got to work.

So after the car sitting in the sun for a few hours, the windshield was all wet again on the inside. I know that the condensation must be from water inside, so I must have water coming in some where!!! The floors don't seem wet, so I thought I would ask the experts here on where I should look for "major" water leaks. I am aware that a XJ is not the greatest sealed vehicle, but my 90 does not have the same issues.

Any advice on where to start and which direction to go would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob:laugh2:

My 89 limited leaked from the sunroof, vent windows, and some sheetmetal stress cracks where the drip rail meets the rear hatch hinge area. Oh and the roof racks too

Check the floor in the cargo area and under the back seat. I've had to adjust my doors and hatch twice now, they do sag and wear in.
Also a good idea to check the drains for the door bottoms and the rear bottom quarter panels.
There is also a drain for the heater inlet, passengers side kick panel. If the drain plugs the inlet box can fill and overflow.

Check the floor in the cargo area and under the back seat. I've had to adjust my doors and hatch twice now, they do sag and wear in.
Also a good idea to check the drains for the door bottoms and the rear bottom quarter panels.
There is also a drain for the heater inlet, passengers side kick panel. If the drain plugs the inlet box can fill and overflow.
I forgot about the rear quarter pocket drains, my first indication was a sloshing noise

I forgot about the rear quarter pocket drains, my first indication was a sloshing noise
I stored some seldom used stuff down there, extra belts and fluids. Some interesting stagnant water and slime smells coming out of there when I finally got around to looking again.

Had a similar situation in my 98.....
The windshield was replaced and found water dribbling from the front of the roof liner near the windshield...
San Diego has had heavy rains the past several days which assisted in finding the leak....
The leak was coming thru a couple of the drivers side roof rack rail nutserts that hold the rails to the roof....
Cured the problem by applying RTV around all six nutserts and applying a small amount to the screw threads....
Checked for leaks over the past couple days after heavy rain and so far no leaks....

Yeah, mine also leaked through the nutsert things that hold the roof rails on. Half of my nutserts were gone so I just put bolts down through and sealed it with RTV. It's been a few months and still hasn't leaked.

Search for a cowl leak by running a garden hose around the fresh air intake at the base of the windshield. Water can get in through the heater area, or from a crack in the ductseal covering a spot welded seam in the firewall.

The same hose around the windshield will find leaks in the seal. All Cherokee windshields are bonded in, but leaks develop over time.

Your garden hose is your friend . . . no nozzle, low flow, you can find more leaks than you want to know about . . .

Back