• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for an inexpensive synthetic winch line...

Anyone have a cheaper solution? :looney:

Yeah... cable!
fawk.gif

Billy

This is about as cheap as I could find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Amst...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

When I bought mine, I got it off ebay. It was 5/16 x 100 feet of red AmSteel blue from Viking Winchline.com. I only paid 138.00 bucks for it though, but maybe that was some sort of special deal.

Its awesome line, and worth every penny if you actually use it often. I will never run a steel cable after switching to Synthetic.

~James

Winchline.com is who fixed my line for me when I broke it or more precisely cut it. They respliced it and put a second protective sleeve on it and the tube thimble eye on it for me. Only cost me $45 for all of that. I just checked their prices and the prices have gone up qite a bit. You used to be able to get 5/16 with the old style thimble and plain jane hook for about $150 for 100'. Now it's about $200 for 100' of 5/16".

Ebay tends to have better prices though. I bought a 50' extension real cheap a while back. I'm talking $35 for 50' length of 5/16" with thimble eyes on each end. The catch is it's pink. It was supposed to be red but when the guy got his shipment they were all pink and no one wanted them. So he sold them cheap on ebay. I could care less what color it is. It works and I've used it several times. Even used it for a super long tow strap once to get someone out of the mud when my winch was broke.

But the people at Gourock, Winchline.com, are great people to deal with from my experience with them. They'll be who I use for splices and other things to deal with my syn rope. I do n't feel real confident in splicing it myself. But my knot I tied it held plenty tight until I got it fixed.

I run a winchline.com line, but after only 2 years its fraying and needs replaced.

Masterpull makes their own line, they are higher quality and worth the money. I'll be getting my replacement there.

I run a winchline.com line, but after only 2 years its fraying and needs replaced.

Masterpull makes their own line, they are higher quality and worth the money. I'll be getting my replacement there.

Not that it isn't higher quality, but I am pretty sure that at least some of the masterpull line is Hampidjan product, not an in-house exclusive. There is occasional mention of Dynex Dux on their site, which looks to be the heat-treated pre-stretched Dyneema 75 used in their Superline. It would make sense if they got their other lines from Hampidjan as well...

Not that it isn't higher quality, but I am pretty sure that at least some of the masterpull line is Hampidjan product, not an in-house exclusive. There is occasional mention of Dynex Dux on their site, which looks to be the heat-treated pre-stretched Dyneema 75 used in their Superline. It would make sense if they got their other lines from Hampidjan as well...

My point was more that they aren't buying spools of amsteel like many competitors and making line off of them. ;)

If the line itself is fraying in spots sounds like you need to use a protective sleeve. You've got to remember, synthetic line DOES NOT like being rubbed or run over things like rocks, logs or the ground. thats it's achilles heel. i have had mine going on 4yrs and it looks fine. I have two 15' protective sleeves on mine in case I need to protect in 2 spots during a pull.

The regular Am-Steel Blue is not that good of a line, it is really not abrasion or heat resistant at all and if you pick it up it just feels weak and flimsy. I used to run it and now use one of our Superlines, go figure right? Well this line is a lot more resistant to abrasion, it is woven tighter, and is also a lot stronger then regular Am-Steel Blue.

Seems to me that winchline isn't exactly the sort of thing to cheap out on...

That's a valid point, another great thing about synthetic is that if you do break it we can re splice it together or add some line to replace the frayed parts.

-Alex

Like any modification, you gotta look at the intended use, and make the decision that's right for you.

I use steel wire on the rig I use for trail building. I'm relying on a partner to rig it, and I'm dragging trees out of ravines, or quickly uprighting a Jeep to avoid hydrolock or lost fluids - I'm not going to stop and re-rig to make the pull. Or some noob drives over it. It's covered in dust in the first 45 minutes these days. I know it'll get abused. . . 1 or 2 seasons and it's time to replace it. I'm running 125ft, If I need to, I can get some of the end removed and recrimped for cheap, or replacement is about $85 shipped to my door. If I had the budget, I'd run Superline, yell at a few noobs, and take the time to re-rig and avoid abraision but, I'd never use AmSteel Blue for this application.

I am considering moving the steel wire from my DD to the trail rig and re-spooling the DD with AmSteel. My objective is to lighten up the front end, and the winch seldom sees use. That'll take off about 30 lbs with the wire and fairlead. The old AmSteel Blue is still in use by plenty of people and 5/16 x 125 is about $230 shipped to my door.

Back