• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horn blares for no reason...help

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep for some reason enjoys blowing its horn for no good reason. I was changing the oil today and all of the sudden the horns starts going off. I unplugged the battery for it to stop and put it back on when was done with the oil. I unplugged the horns so it wouldn't go off randomly down the road just like in Little Miss Sunshine. Anyways, My check engine light came on for a P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction. It kinda souns like an electrical system throughout the jeep.

The horn will now go off whenever i open the doors and the interior lights go on. Same issue with the trunk opening.

The guys at O'Reilly's thought it was an alarm system....to my knowledge my jeep has no alarm system on it.

He then said it could be a bad ground for the horn.

Anything like this ever happen to you? What should i look into?

And you posted in mod tech..............why?

There was someone in oem tech with this issue not too long ago and he left it go and wound up finding his fuse block and a bunch of wires behind it burned and melted. I believe it was in a 97+Xj.

There might be a loose nut behind the wheel.... :D

well here is more to the story that i just discovered.

I walked outside and found the rear defroster switch on (orange light on) with the no keys in the car. also, the jeep was dead, and i was only out for a few hours. i had to jump the jeep with the volvo, i decided not to drive it today just in case, and it was running fine when i left. i come back after a few hours and the jeep will not start at all.

what in the world is going on with my heep?

Somethings up with your wiring, I'd look around at your grounds. What year is it?

I went out to my '99 one time and found the radio pumping tunes, and my keys were in my hand.

well here is more to the story that i just discovered.

I walked outside and found the rear defroster switch on (orange light on) with the no keys in the car. also, the jeep was dead, and i was only out for a few hours. i had to jump the jeep with the volvo, i decided not to drive it today just in case, and it was running fine when i left. i come back after a few hours and the jeep will not start at all.

what in the world is going on with my heep?

If you jump a Jeep with Volvo, do you get a Swedish meatball? Volvo's have a positive ground system, so you probably melted wires. Just kidding. Check all your fuses and double check if your key can come out when the ignition switch is not in the off position. Mine comes out like that and I have thought it was "OFF" when it really wasn't. There are many threads in this forum about that. Pulling my cylinder out and lubing it good helped, but I always worry about it. (especially when my wife drives it). Killed one battery so far. They only take a few severe drawdowns before they die.

i will take a look at it, it could be melting wires or something. the oreillys guy said he smelled coolant, but i didnt, it could have been melting wires.

i will have to tear it apart tomorrow and see what i find

i will take a look at it, it could be melting wires or something. the oreillys guy said he smelled coolant, but i didnt, it could have been melting wires.

i will have to tear it apart tomorrow and see what i find

Good luck man, that sucks that it happened so close to WF!

well i think i narrowed it down to the ignition switch. the jeep wouldnt turn off after i took the key out and the ignition switch explains most of the symptoms that im having

Thats good at least your harness isn't fried!

i got that problem fixed....i replaced the ignition switch. apparently that fixed the horn problem as well.

long story short, dealer plugged in two relays for me that i took out and tried to charge me. apparently the switch fixed my problems...doesnt seem right to me, but everything works fine now

Back