• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima YellowTop: Uneven, "bulging" top surface?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Just acquired a used Optima YellowTop. I do not know the age of the battery but I was just curious. The top of the case isn't flat and kind of "bumpy" if you will....well maybe not bumpy but there are high and low spots on the top of the case.

I have a new RedTop and the surface is entirely flat. Also a friend has another yellowtop that is entirely flat as well. I know this yellowtop is the highest CCA yellowtop you can buy. My RedTop and my friend's other YellowTop and not the highest CCA in that color.

Here are some pictures, maybe they can describe what I am trying to better!

Optima1.jpg

Optima2.jpg

Better try and see if you can get your money back!!!!!!!!!!!
That battery already "blew" up.

That battery is shot. An AGM battery is sealed and should not have any bulges. Any battery should not be bulging. Looks like yours blew up internally or shorted out, causing the bulge.
Even it if does last at the moment, it will not last long.

Shucks, that is interesting though. Thank you for the replies, I've never seen this before. I would have just assumed it was a defect in the "plastic" mold, lol!

PS it was used in a friend's XJ and then for his backup sump pump in his basement. It was on constant charge 24/7 for awhile. It hasn't been charged since September and I checked the voltage yesterday night and it was right at 6.66 volts. Not sure if that much drop is acceptable in that time span or not. I have been trickle charging it all night at 2 amps. Will have to see if it is full now or not.

But now that you mention that something serious has happened inside of it I don't think I'd want to use this as perhaps it may not be reliable and leave me stranded somewhere....that wouldn't be awesome now would it, heh.

6.66 volts is shot, don't even bother trying to bring it up. That's well below the voltage for a starting battery. A 2amp charge is not the right charge for an AGM battery, it uses a different profile for charging. Look at chargers at your auto parts store for an AGM or sealed battery.
If its shorted internally, it won't ever work. 6.66 volts sounds like 3 of the cells are working only. 2.22 volts a piece. The other 3 cells probably shorted out.

Yes I am.
Let me know if you need anything battery related!

Not actually but that would work as well, lol. I just need a battery for my Grand Marquis. The XJ has the redtop. Actually I was going to put the YellowTop in the XJ as it is the top battery group for amps. The RedTop is one step below.

Last edited:
Well this evening in my "free time" I cleaned up the battery...purely for fun. Here's some more pics....also it has been trickle charging all night and all day and is still at 9.4 or 9.5 volts. It was at that last night. Must have got so high and that is all. Too bad considering it's actually a D34/78, the highest model or so I believe.

Optima1.jpg

Optima2.jpg

What do you think the discoloration of the yellow is from?

Well this evening in my "free time" I cleaned up the battery...purely for fun. Here's some more pics....also it has been trickle charging all night and all day and is still at 9.4 or 9.5 volts. It was at that last night. Must have got so high and that is all. Too bad considering it's actually a D34/78, the highest model or so I believe.

Optima1.jpg

Optima2.jpg

What do you think the discoloration of the yellow is from?
heat? my best guess

Heat is correct. Melting the plastics from the inside out.
Please, don't place it on a charge any more, it's too dangerous.

Last edited:
Off topic here but:
Selarep, why do you link to jon's(5-90) page when trying to sell your battery cables?

Off topic here but:
Selarep, why do you link to jon's(5-90) page when trying to sell your battery cables?

I do not sell battery cables like 5-90 nor have I ever advertised to do so either. He is a friend of mine and I am promoting his products.

I do not sell battery cables like 5-90 nor have I ever advertised to do so either. He is a friend of mine and I am promoting his products.

When i throw a winch on my XJ this summer i'm going with those I just spent 500 bucks on the Jeep this week so she's gonna have to wait so i can pay the bills! :D

Back