• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another "Jeep won't start" thread.

13bullets

NAXJA Forum User
I'm tired, and I searched all I can stand.

My xj is mostly a 98. I went to start it (first time in a week) and all I got was click click click...click click click. The battery (yellow top) is about 3 weeks old, it's a 4.0, 5 spd.

I remember seeing a thread about how to troubleshoot a non starting xj somewhere, but I can't find it.

First, charge the battery. Yes, I read its 3 weeks old, but your alternator may have failed, even Optima batteries fail, and Life begins with a fully charged battery.

While fully charging the battery clean the battery cable ends and all grounds.

When the battery is fully charged have it load tested. If ok, then you have something draining the battery or you alternator is failing and not recharging the battery. If there is no current draw draining the battery (a little draw is ok, like for the radio's memory), and your alternator is tested OK, then you start checking the starter/solenoid/relay stuff. Of course you probably already cleaned those connections earlier, right?

All I've done is drive it home, put a windshield in it, and put a battery in it. I bought the jeep the same week I bought the battery & windshield, and haven't even gotten it inspected yet so I can tag it.

In my opinion lose the Optima. They don't charge well. I am sure i will catch some flack for saying this. If your jeep ever dies on the side of the road good luck jump starting it. Ya they can be mounted upside or side ways but that really doesn't make it worth all the extra hassle.

Back