• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

215 bucks for 8.25?

3.55 or 4.10
27 or 29 spline

I'd pay that for an open 4.10 29 spline

I would have to echo the vote for the 8.8 also. You can pull one from the junkyard for $65 up my way. They are a strong 31 spline axle with decent aftermarket support. And a simple swap to boot.

If you look around, the classifieds around the country seem to have 8.25's in the $100-200 price range. If I were going to buy an 8.25 I personally wouldn't pay more then $100, but it all depends on your luck and how much you want/need it at the end of the day.

~Scott

Im not too hot on the 8.8 i see where your coming from Matt but i wanan keep the same length on the axles assuming i am correct as to thinking the 8.8 is a few inches shorter...But i may be mistaken. But with the 44 its just a straight bolt in IIRC. BTW Matt, do you still have the 44 up front in you Jeep? The one that was in at NWFest last year? And how well does it work? Any major problems or down falls to it?

-PJ-

Im not too hot on the 8.8 i see where your coming from Matt but i wanan keep the same length on the axles assuming i am correct as to thinking the 8.8 is a few inches shorter...But i may be mistaken. But with the 44 its just a straight bolt in IIRC. BTW Matt, do you still have the 44 up front in you Jeep? The one that was in at NWFest last year? And how well does it work? Any major problems or down falls to it?

-PJ-

The 8.8 is about a quarter of an inch shorter than XJ width, IIRC, making width not a problem. And yes, a rare XJ D44 is a straight bolt in, but you might as well have the perches on an 8.8 relocated and welded...a little more trouble, for a better axle.

And yes, Matt is running a HP D44 up front on his junk. I believe its from a late 70's Ford pick-up, and requires narrowing as well as other modification to bolt into an XJ. If your willing to tackle putting a HP 44 up front, putting an 8.8 in the rear would be easy peezy. When it comes to D44s, front or rear, there are several options. Waggy, Ford, XJ...etc. The search button will be your friend when it comes to the nitty gritty on that subject.

-Lyle

Sounds good to me... but maybe not after reading others posts. I traded a 87 Comanche for a 27 spline 3.55 open 8.25 about 3 years ago. And a set of doors that I never got.:(

The 8.8 is about 5/8" shorter per side and the center section is slightly off center. However you get a tough axle with 31 splines, thick tubes and a lot of affordable aftermarket support. Not to mention one of the biggest upgrades is disc brakes. That alone makes it very well worth it.

Going from this:
build028.jpg

to this:
build043.jpg

is a huge improvement. Can you add disc brakes to an 8.25 or D44? Sure but it is gonna cost you a lot. Heck John @ Auburn Car repair has some he is selling for $250! That is a smoking deal and does not take a lot of fab work to get them under a Jeep.

Back