• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 DRUM SWAP TO DISC? Anyone know??

COJarhead4whln

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a D44 for my 89XJ and I looked into doing a disc brake swap but the Teraflex kit is the least expensive and it still costs over 500 dollars. I heard that you can use ZJ brake set up does anyone know anything about that, or any other way that would be more cost effective??

I am going to use the mid 90's Crown Vic brakes. I don't have a write up link , but I have heard they will fit right on with only one other extra part. My D44 drums suck. Stopping can be down right scary sometimes.

I just did the same swap. I used the 98 Ford Explore rear disc brake that I got off the junk yard $120 and they work great. The parts look brand new so I took them. Some minor modification need to be done even when using the Rubicon retainer plate because the bolt holes don't match up. I will take some pictures once it stops raining.

Last edited:
How so, you grind a little bit off the bracket, you buy the tera flex preload shims for the retainer plate and enlarge the center hole on the rotor a bit. Bolt it up and done. Much more bolt on that redrilling ZJ brackets.

Back