• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case interchangability

MPETESS10

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching and reading and still havent been able to come up with a yes or no answer.
I know I have a 23 spline input on my 231 case behind my ax15. because I have the ax15 that means I also have the longer inputs shaft.
my question is

WOULD A SHORT SHAFT CASE WORK ON MY JEEP? or would I have to find a long shaft case or swap my input shaft out.
reason I ask is the local pull a part sells used t-cases for $61. the yard is filled with AW4 equipped XJ's but a 95+ 5spd is kinda rare.
I want to pick up a spare case and throw an SYE at it and once I have everything I need to swap it in just spend a couple hours swapping 1 case out and the other in without having to change anything from one case to the other.
I guess I could just buy a new longer input shaft and swap it in while I have the case apart
another idea I had was swap in the junkyard case temporarily while I rebuild and SYE my case.

so what is everyones input on this
thanks in advance

You have to have the correct spline length and count,not all the input gears are interchangable(you didnt give ANY year info).Check out Novak's site!

ok I have a 99 with the 5spd which means I have a long shaft 23 spline input. I am basically asking if as a temporary thing could a swap in a 231 case from an AW4 XJ with the short shaft 23 spline spline input.

ok I have a 99 with the 5spd which means I have a long shaft 23 spline input. I am basically asking if as a temporary thing could a swap in a 231 case from an AW4 XJ with the short shaft 23 spline spline input.

Not if you plan on keeping the transmission fluid in.................

Back