• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to manual sawp

Well 2 years ago i replaced my AW4 with a AX-15 in my 96XJ . My check engine light has been on sence then, and now i need to smog it. The check engine light is on for a nutral saftey switch, so the computer is thinking its stuck in drive or parked or somthing. I was thinking i should put a computer from a 96 manual trans XJ into mine. i will do this if it comes down to it, but i wanted to see if theres a way around it or not. i also dont want to take my jeep a smog refferee sence they do visual inspections on the whole car. Any thoughts?

Bypass the NSS? but the only way to fix it correctly is to Get a computer for a manual trans.

What code are you getting? Do you still have the TCU or NSS connected? Seems like you could just leave the TCU wired up and jumper the appropriate wires at the NSS connector to let it think you have it in park.

What code are you getting? Do you still have the TCU or NSS connected? Seems like you could just leave the TCU wired up and jumper the appropriate wires at the NSS connector to let it think you have it in park.
Yea i tried that and it didnt work. The code is 1998 or 1989 or 1898 or 1889.......Its one of those, lol. if nss is wired to make the computer think its always in park it would throw a code whenever it picks up the speedo sence,so basically when ever i drive it.

Is this just a visual inspection thing or are they reading codes in CA now?

What I mean, could you disable the light for a visual inspection?

I think that is what he is asking about. In Cali for smog your CEL CANNOT be on.

Is this just a visual inspection thing or are they reading codes in CA now?

What I mean, could you disable the light for a visual inspection?
It is visual but, I reset the the codes a day before i tried to smog it. The comp hold memory before it resets on its own, and i belive if the light goes off and the comp it hasent reset itself its still basically thew same as the light being on. Is it true?

Yea i tried that and it didnt work. The code is 1998 or 1989 or 1898 or 1889.......Its one of those, lol. if nss is wired to make the computer think its always in park it would throw a code whenever it picks up the speedo sence,so basically when ever i drive it.

P1899-Park/Neutral Position Switch Stuck In Park or In Gear.

The speed sensor for the TCU is in the back end of the AW4. Assuming that is not hooked up it should have no clue that you're moving. I think that code only sets if it senses speed when the NSS says its in park.

The 98 and later TCUs have an additional input speed sensor. I believe that code will set if it thinks you started the engine with the shifter in anything but park or neutral. That extra sensor lets it figure out if you've got solenoid problems too.

It is visual but, I reset the the codes a day before i tried to smog it. The comp hold memory before it resets on its own, and i belive if the light goes off and the comp it hasent reset itself its still basically thew same as the light being on. Is it true?

On the OBDII checks, I believe it looks for X number of starts since clearing codes. So clearing the codes right before you walked in would be noticed and they'd tell you to come back in a week.

Back