• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bed-liner as paint for jeep?

1bad93z

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking around online and I saw people use like a roll-on bed liner to paint their jeeps. I was wondering if anyone on here has done it, if they can post pictures, and if they can give me their opinions. Its much cheaper than painting the car, and I think it looks badass. But does it weigh the vehicle down a LOT? I was looking at like some dark green Grizzly grip bed liner. It's about $100 a gallon.

AS paint, I would recommend spraying it

I saw a guy paint some speaker boxes with the Duplicolor Bedliner spray on, he sanded smooth and it looked amazing. B/C he sanded it had a matte semi reflective finish.

i saw a 4runner completly covered in bed liner....it got really warm to the touch in sunlight and it was really rough. you really notice it when you bump into it on accident

Well, then maybe sand it down and/or spray some clear over it.

Pic. of mine 48.00 a gallon black plasta kote from wal-mart rolled on..

Badlands11-08026.jpg

I like it !!! Very durable and hides the dents...

Nick

Hanax87, how much paint did you use? Just one coat? How about the prep? Looks proper.

Used just about the whole gallon.. Several coats started light wait ten minutes recoat..Was three years ago .. I think it was 4-5 coats.

The prep. was normal like any paint job... sand and treat rust areas .Primed and sanded made sure everything was clean..

Hope that helps
Nick

i did the entire roof of mine. no pics right now anyway.
prep took me about 9-10hrs because i had a heavy surface rust issue to deal with under the factory paint.

i used Herculiners $90 kit.
2 decent coats out of the 1 gallon can left me with about 2/3's of the can left over.
i used a rust converter as my primer.
sanded the crap out of it (DA sander and the spongey looking wheels(?) which worked the best to rough it up), even tho the directions say it isnt necessary.
and i used lots of autoprep degreasing solution before i primed it.

like hanaxj87 said, its just like painting except you dont have to cover everything up to spray. you will get a tiny bit of splatter here and there from the roller if u go that route.

prep is the key to a long lasting coat.

only thing i am remotely worried about is long term resistance to fading.
other then that, it looks better then it did before IMO.

Last edited:
i just did the lower portion of my doors and rockers. I rolled on the stuff you can buy from advanced auto (duplicolor, maybe?). the whole kit cost like $80 i want to say. I did about 3 coats. barely used up any of the can, but again i didnt do my whole jeep. its awesome on the roof to, did that on my old '93

heres the best close pic i had...
100_1735.jpg

only thing i am remotely worried about is long term resistance to fading.
other then that, it looks better then it did before IMO.

Good point, mine sits in the garage most of the time.. Still looks pretty good .. There maybe something to coat it for fade protection.

Nick

I used the duplicolor spray on bed liner, aerosol can, to paint my rockers and lower section of the doors. On for a year now and still holdin up great! i didn't even peel off the stupid black sticker, i am assuming in another couple years i will have to redo it because the sticker will probly fall off!

I was thinking of doing the whole car with dark green (the original color of my car) and doing the rockers/flares and lower parts of the doors black. Entire car in bed liner. What do you guys think? I am lucky I guess because I don't have any rust to fight. :)

I was thinking of doing the whole jeep with dark green (the original color of my jeep) and doing the rockers/flares and lower parts of the doors black. Entire jeep in bed liner. What do you guys think? I am lucky I guess because I don't have any rust to fight. :)

That's what I think.

Oh and yeah, sounds cool... I'll be doing the lower half in all bedliner once I get the chance.

I didnt do the whole thing just the rear quarters to hide the burnt paint from welding the rear fenders up after I cut them. I used just the hurculiner stuff you an get at most part stores, its held up good but has faded a little bit.
2cs9zdt.jpg

Back