• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to 8.25 Swap

jeepnatv4life

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 with a dana turdy 5. Ive got a 29 spline 8.25 to swap in after clean it up and put an Aussie in it. What needs to be done for the swap??? Are D/s lengths the same?? Ive got around 4.5 inch lift.

not much needs to be done for the swap really. it should be pretty straight forward. DS lengths wont be the same since the pinion on the 8.25 is a little longer, but that will actually help you. at around 4.5 inches though your getting close to needing a SYE though anyways.

man...just noticed your in harrisonburg. i just sold a rear 44 today for 150 bucks

I bought the Jeep Ready made with the lift on it soo Im basing the 4.5 lift with what I've read. Idk if uve heard of Jesse James Performance... He did the lift for the guy I bought it off of and Jesse says there 5 on there so idk how it working but it is. Theres about an inch n half on the tcase output now and so far since he had it no problems with pullin the yoke. Have any other spare XJ stuff. DO I need an 8.25 d/s??

sweet some fellow hburgers. i live in dayton. what do you alls trucks look like? ill have to look for you around town. i have a black 99 xj sport, 3.5 RE kit, trimmed front fenders, and a yellow tie rod

WHite 99 bushwackers 32's KM's tire on factory roof rack with custom carrier. Rhino lined rockers. Rough Country Rocker guards. Redone boxed in front bumper. fiberglass cb antenna on the front fender

OK we will call this the "Virginia" thread LOL!

You will most likely be able to use the same shaft, I did, but pick up a 8.25 shaft just in case the d-35 shaft is too long. You will need about an inch "slip in" at ride height, if you have less than this you risk damaging the T-case. You also need at least an inch of spline engagement or the shaft is too short and could spit out on hard braking or flex.

I had an 8.25 '99 Cherokee the shaft part # is 52098814 It's 29 1/8 long from front at u joint collar to rear u joint collar 74mm. The Dana 35 shaft part # is 52098731 and is about 79-80mm i believe i just measured it but kinda forgot..... but the D35 shaft is longer. Either way I have both shafts luckily.. I mistakenly piked up a shaft from a 8.25 jeep when I was gettin one for a d35 spare.:doh:

87-90 had Dana 35. Rest of info is correct

So anyone have any advice?? Has anyone done the swap. I hear that the backing plates are the same for a d35 to 8.25?? So I can use same brakes just what ive heard is it true?

i just did the swap and recommend taking the driveshaft as a precaution. im at 4.5" lift with a 4.0/AW4/242 combo and i didnt like how long the D35 driveshaft was. that quickly prompted me to start my SYE. the brakes are fine and are a direct swap. also get new u-bolts and make sure the spring plates will work.

swap the entire axle, and rebuild the brakes on the new axle... dont swap stuff if your posting a thread like this...

nobody has asked, but does the jeep currently have ABS?

...if so, its pretty much gotta go...

Back