• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats thumping and smells???

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
87 with a dana 44....it started making a thumping noise whenever i brake relatively hard that i can actually feel coming all the way up through my shifter and is accompanied by a burning smell. it sounds like its originating in the rear drivers side. ive searched the forum and everything ive seen regarding a thumping while braking has been for issues with the front. sooo, that doesnt really pertain to this...anybody had this issue before or have any info that would help?

I guess you might as well yank that d44 out and give it to me .... J/K - sounds like somethings wrong inside that drum - after you drive feel the wheels/drums and see if its overly hot

Take it and get a free brake inspection from midas or someplace.

my dana 35 did that...then the outside wheel bering disentegrated and the axle shaft came out...while i was drving...

87 with a dana 44....it started making a thumping noise whenever i brake relatively hard that i can actually feel coming all the way up through my shifter and is accompanied by a burning smell. it sounds like its originating in the rear drivers side. ive searched the forum and everything ive seen regarding a thumping while braking has been for issues with the front. sooo, that doesnt really pertain to this...anybody had this issue before or have any info that would help?
Do you notice any play in the brake (squishy) or are you able to pump it up?
This might mot be a brake issue but a bad tranny mount where the exhaust is hitting the croosmember (or whatever). The burning smell is oil or tranny fluid hitting the exhaust when breaking. Probably time for a rear main seal replacement.
Get under there and see where it's leaking from and keep us posted!

ok...so i took it to brake check for the free inspection...and just like winterbeater said...my ESTIMATED cost would be $582 and thats only if they didnt find anything else that needed to be replaced (which of course they would lol). it ended up being my wheel bearing seal leaking. it was so bad that my entire drum, hardware, and shoes were absolutely soaked with gear oil. they said my bearings seemed fine and from what i saw when they showed me there wasnt any abnormal play anywhere..soooo, once again im workin on the jeep this weekend instead of fishing...oh well, maybe someday it will work flawlessly.

Back