• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Factory electric fans

XJRunner

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever thought of using 2 factory electric fans wired up to a switch to ditch the mechanical one? Would it work? I might try

I have two stock electrics in mine.

Works really well until this one situation:
- Close to 100*F heat
- Max A/C on full blast
- Coming off the highway to a stop

My temp starts climbing unless I turn the A/C off for a couple minutes. I have a big tranny cooler too (explorer kind).

Other than that, I never have a problem with the setup.

Keep the mech fan and if you wanna upgrade your e-fan go to a 10 blade S fan out of the newer XJs. (97+) I believe. My systems cools great like that.

But if you really wanna ditch it, theres a ton of info here on it, search around. JeeperJohn just bought a setup made for the XJ that has 3 e-fans and a shroud. You could PM him for more info on it. Or you could look into getting a Taurus E-Fan setup. It pulls some like 4.5K CFM on high and like 3.2K CFM on low...

Keep some head room / safety factor: If you are replacing the mech fan, do it with a unit that can move 2500. I think GoJeep recommends 2K or so as minimal. You really don't want to be overheating coming off the highway in traffic / crawling around the desert. Gets pretty hot in San Diego, don't it?
I don't think you want to go with twin stockers - but then, I'm in my underwear in Park City right now...

I run two oem fans never a problem with heat. run them off universal adjustable switch and relay with fuse on each fan

134482712.jpg

The problem in doing so is that the stock mech fan pulls about 4K CFM where as our e-fans pull around 2K ( a little less IIRC) So by pulling your Mech fan in place of a stock on your losing roughly 2K CFM in the process...

Heres a good little discussion on it that I found. http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13510

If it helps any, I pulled my mech fan last year to put in another factory 98 fan. Never got to the part of putting the new fan on. Mine had been running on the one factory 98 fan for over a year. Not that it gets really hot around here, But it did see 90-100 degree weather while wheeling. Never went over 215. ever. So I assume when I put the second fan on. It will be even better. This is also with a new radiator, hoses, coolant, ect. Now an old clogged up system might not be as great.

Back