• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with axle shafts

iroll919

NAXJA Forum User
i decided i am going to put some money into my d 30 and hopefully be able to run 35s without breaking it im not going to be doing any real intense rock crawling just an occasional difficult obstical here and there and i want to know its not gonna just snap

i figure i am going to regear to 4.56s 760 u-joints no locker at the moment and i want to put 30 spline shafts alloy or chromoly

my question is can i just buy 30 spline shafts and 4.56 gears and get them installed or is there a specific set of gears i need to buy since i would be upgrading to 30 spline instead of 27

i did some researching and i just couldnt find what i was looking for could somebody just point me in the right direction as far as what brands are the best and what exactly i need to get cause i dont know anything about axles except i dont want to break one on the trail

thanks

Ring and pinion are the same but the spider gears will not work time for a new diff. Arb makes and 30 spline carrier. I am running 4.56 gears in my Dana 30 and yukon 30 spline alloy shafts and the Arb. It works really good.

Yep, as said, the splines of the axle shafts do not have anything to do with the ratio of the gears, as the Ring and Pinion do not touch the axle shafts. But you will need a new carrier as those 30 splined shafts will not fit into the 27 splined spider gears. OX, ARB, and Detroit make 30 splined full carrier lockers, and if you don't want to go that route, look for some lunch box lockers that are 30 splined, I can't remember off the top of my head which ones are, if any.

or you could run some alloy 27 spline and carry your stock ones as spares in the case you do break one. if you do run 30 spline shafts and snap one, chances are youor the people youre with wont have 30 spline shafts. just a thought. some guys run 36"s like that without issue.

Your best bet, call National Drivetrain, ask for Eric Filar.

They are a Naxja sponsor, and he will take good care of you. He knows his stuff, and will help you get the best bang for your buck, given your intended use.

-C

im in the same situation (wanting to upgrade to 35's) and i think i have decided to just go with a d44 swap instead of throwing money at the d 30. maybe you should consider this. but if you want to run 30 spline shafts you will need new spider gears that are splined for 30 splined shafts and a new carrier to run your desired gearing.

Last edited:
Back