• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No sound from speakers

goalieman24

NAXJA Forum User
Just recently, I do not get any sound out of my speakers.
My ~4 month old Alpine headunit has power, and can switch between radio/cd/aux/ipod... although I get no music out of the speakers.
I've checked the connections coming in to the back of the headunit, and everything is fine.
Where should I start looking to fix this?

The "mute" button is not on.

Two wires to each speaker?

One is power, one is ground?

Use your $3.99 HF multimeter to test for power/ground at the head unit, if there, follow the wires while continuing to test, locate open and repair.

id check all your speaker connections at the alpine harness make sure something didnt get bumped out of circuit.

I would check the ground, other wise call Alpine, I experienced a similar problem installing one from my buddy where the blue wire was actually supposed to match up with a blue/white wire. My suggestion would be to call Alpine since I've experienced the problem I'm sure they can give you a few highly likely causes to check out.

Thats what I was thinking... although I don't think there is a separate fuse just for the speakers.

What about with the music "playing", disconnect each speaker(one at a time) from the head unit wiring harness. IF there is a short somewhere between the headunit and the speaker, un-wiring the problematic speaker should make the rest play music, correct?

When the wires for the speakers are exposed and both touch a ground the sound will not work. It's a safety precaution so you don't blow your head unit. Try checking the connections for the speakers and unplug each one, one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

When the wires for the speakers are exposed and both touch a ground the sound will not work. It's a safety precaution so you don't blow your head unit. Try checking the connections for the speakers and unplug each one, one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

So what I said will work?
Does it matter whether I unplug the wires right at the speaker, or just find the 2 corresponding wires right off the headunit?

you can do it either at the head unit or at the speakers. I'd do it at the speakers because the problem is probably at the speaker (that's where it usually is).

Thats actually a great idea......at least that way you can varify that the speaker works, or not.

The driver door speaker in my 01' has been acting up too, so I'd like to hear how you resolve the issue. I found out that my speaker works when I ground it to the door though :wstupid:

Yes you can and/or with a 1.5v D or AA cell.

You want to unplug connectors at the headunit for your testing. If your problem is a short in the wiring between the H.U. and speakers, unplugging at the speakers is not only a pain but won't tell you what you need to know.

You want to unplug connectors at the headunit for your testing. If your problem is a short in the wiring between the H.U. and speakers, unplugging at the speakers is not only a pain but won't tell you what you need to know.

So I unplugged each connection at the headunit and used a battery to do a "Pop" test.
I got feedback from each speaker, except for the right front. I reconnected all wires(except right front) and plugged the everything back in. Turned the key to 'on', and still no sound. Shouldn't all of the other speakers play, except for the right front which is not connected?

Would seem so unless they have some protective circuitry that prevents the thing from playing unless all speakers are connected. I have no idea if this might be the case -- just throwing it out.

Try the reset button if you haven't already. Couldn't hurt. I just had a bout with my cheapo unit after losing power to my memory lead. After fixing that, on both the USB input and cd player some tracks would play correctly, some not at all, some with distortion and some would appear to be playing per the display but with no sound -- the latter similar to your situation I guess. I finally did a reset and everything seems to be working properly again, lengthy test still to come.

Beyond that a call to Alpine might be in order.

Back