• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case???

scottyrock

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91, I6, aw4, auto, 4wd. I was in 2 wheel drive yesterday when I lost traction on an icy parking lot. The front wheels were on dry pavement but the rear was on the ice. I put it in 4 wheel high but my front tires didn't pull at all. If my research is right my transfer case is a 242J. I assume if the transfer case had issues I wouldn't be going anywhere at all... right? Any ideas on why the front wheels won't turn in 4wd?

If you've got a 242, you should have a 4hi fulltime and a 4hi parttime position. There's a differential in the transfer case. In 4hi fulltime, the front end does get power, but can spin at a different rate from the rear end. In 4hi parttime, the diff is locked, and both driveshafts will turn at the same rate. Of course, this is assuming all is well inside the tcase.

best case scenario...your linkage rod is bent/broken. See if you can manually engage the tcase from under the jeep...if not good luck.

No, the case engages through the shifter linkage. As said before, double check that is all right.

91 is is a CAD axle, should be a vacuum motor on the passenger side to engage the axle shafts. You still control the tcase with a mechanical linkage, there's a vacuum switch that will flip the vacuum on for the axle motor.

You should also have a 2hi on your tcase bezel.

I'd start with the linkage.

if the linkage is a little out, moving the lever a little to the right and back until you feel it engage works well. ask me how i know.

Go somewhere you won't get stuck, and try your 4H again. There is a delay in engagement and if you aren't moving forward it may not engage.

I find that rolling in neutral going about 10-15 km/h and then engaging the t-case works too. I might be crazy but sometimes I have to go in reverse to get it to actually lock into 4wd, then again I'm pretty sure my t-case needs an overhaul.

Back