• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in the distributor

88xjlover

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. Flame me but this is a TOY question. Sorry but I have both a 91 cherokee and an 84 long bed 4x4.
Couldn't figure out why my toy was running bad after warm up, especially after I shut it down then started again. I had it at a shop for smog reasons (last year I have to smog so yay!)
Then one day it wouldn't start after driving and shut down. Sounded like timing was off, (chug, chug, whoop!). Removed distributer cap to check where rotor was pointing at TDC and found a good amount of water under cap with green corrosion (from copper contacts). Cleaned it up and sprayed some PB blaster in there and now runs fine.
Here's the question.
The last time I ran this truck in high water was at least 1 1/2 yr ago and ran fine after so did the shop guy dump water in my distributer cap (it was running bad before that) or was the water in there that long, or is there another explanation?
Sorry so long and an evil Toy question but I always get great answeres here and know there are alot of car guys on here.
:shiver: Don't hurt me....

I absolutely refuse to comment on that thing you just commented on!

My 84 F/S Bronco would do the same.

Play "misty" for me.

Bead of RTV seals it up.

Its called condensation,seal all you want,it wont do any good and can make things worse.Its in your engine,transmission,tranfer case,axles,power steering,brakes,etc!

A guy in Phoenix, AZ talking about condensation?!?

Just kidding!

88xjlover lives in WASHINGTON state, where green mold is the official state flower! LMAO!

No doubt and I've had this truck for about 5 years and no problems like this before. I don't drive it much anymore as I have other daily drivers.

The plot thickens! LOL! :jester:

Annual rainfall in WA is 200 inches.

You are one selfish so and so! You've left only 199 inches for the others!

Bad 88xjlover, no cookie for you! LMAO!

Back