• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No part time light--search showed nothing

IndyXJ

Member #1314
Unless I'm not using the right search terms...

I test drove a 2000 and there is no Part Time light when pulling the TC lever up to 4hi on the snowy parking lot. I can't say with 100% accuracy even engaged. Is there something I can check easily? It's at a dealer, so I can't exactly jack it up and check the TC,but if I really want it, I guess I can tell them that's what needs to be done if they want me or a future customer to buy it.

Dealer have a shop with a lift? If not, tell them you want your mechanic to check it over.

Try engaging it on dry pavement and see if you get any binding when you dirve it around in circles.

You're in Indiana. Aren't there any icy parking lots or side streets? My light doesnt work either. But if I gas it (a little) in 2WD on a slippery street, the rear breaks loose. Then pop her into 4WD and gas it. The available acceleration in 4WD will let you know it's working. Then put her back in 2WD and try again and feel it slip. The difference is what makes the Jeep so cool. You can go in and out of 4WD (HI) at any speed. But not to run part time 4WD on dry pavement. Obviously you already know that because you call it "part time 4WD". But yeah, maybe you can get them to fix the light first. I worry (a little) that I'll forget I'm in 4WD when I drive on dry pavement.

good bargaining tactics right there yall. ^
:D
My part time light never worked either, so long as the 4wd did I was happy.

It THINK it had some wheel hop...but like I say, not 100% sure. Also, the TC lever...has some play in it, my 99 and 01 never got that loose. Play side to side that is.

Back