• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE shocks

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
Hello to everyone, been away for abit (Iraq etc) and just getting back to paying my XJ some attention. Pulled off my rear shocks to clean them up, and found the 1 year old RE mono-tube shocks blown. Looks like one rusted bad around the bottom lip and blew the seal, I can push it down about 2inches, then I hear the fluid gurgling. Yes, I like to run the boots so the rods dont rust- but I think it may have caused part of the failure. Any ideas on keepong the new set alive any longer??

First: Thank you for your service.

Personally, I ran with some blown shocks and it ended up causing my tires to go out of round. If you think they're finished I'd replace them. Just my experience.

I run RE twintubes on my 90 with a 3.5 Superflex and they suck as far as my experience has gone. I had the first one blow out after 3 months with no offroading involved. They also ride like total ass. I'd replace them with something better.
My .02
-Collin

I run RE monotubes with 7" of lift and LA's and love them. I've had them in since about the end of last winter. You can ask anyone that's watched me drive, I don't take it easy on them. Biggest suggestion I would make, ditch the boots. If you're worried about the rods rusting, keep a good layer of wax on them. Running boots won't prevent rust, it'll help it start faster. They hold particles in with the rod, as well as moisture. I learned that first hand with my last set of shocks...

I run RE twin tubes with no boots on my RE 4.5" lift...Although the rears are a little shorter than I would like, they are pretty good shocks, I had skycrapper Hydro 7000's before this, and it was a good move to make the switch.

Back