• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone in or around Corona...

Jeep Couple

NAXJA Forum User
Think maybe they could help me diagnose a problem with my Jeep?

I've checked all the tech sections and everything I've seen about vibration is someone with a new lift talking about driveshaft angle. I was wondering if anyone had some free time this week or weekend to see if they could help me figure it out!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

post up info on the jeep man, what size lift and tires...year of the jeep all the info that could help...someone on here could help diagnose it from here with info dude!
Think maybe they could help me diagnose a problem with my Jeep?

I've checked all the tech sections and everything I've seen about vibration is someone with a new lift talking about driveshaft angle. I was wondering if anyone had some free time this week or weekend to see if they could help me figure it out!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

It's a 1997 XJ,4.0L, 5 sp.

33" tires and a 3.5" suspension lift and 1" spacers in the front.

It has a really bad vibration on acceleration. While crusing on the freeway I take my foot off the gas and there's a *thunk* then it stops, but when you press the gas, there's another *thunk* and it starts vibrating again.

I've put in neutral while coasting and rev'ed the gas and it sounds fine. So the problem is only while I'm in gear and it doesn't matter what gear.

no sye i assume...not sure if its needed at that height...my buddy had horrible vibes doing the same thing...does it sputter at all?

Sure sounds liike a U joint issue. Won't be around there anytime soon to take a look, but good luck.

the clunk maybe the tranny mount needing to be replaced, or a bad ujoint. the ujoint could also cause the vibes. with 3.5" of lift you may need either a tcase drop kit, axle shims, or a longer slip yoke out of a YJ.
that should stop the vibes

At just about any lift with a '97 you're needing an SYE (preferably) or a transfer case drop (kinda ghetto but cheap).

When you're on the gas does the shifter move around? (like move up a bit when you're gassing it). If so I'd replace the engine and transmission mounts (quite easy) and work from there.

Think maybe they could help me diagnose a problem with my ............Jeep?

Jeep....... There's your problem!!!

Just kidding! I agree with above posts, if you already have the t-case drop then I would start looking at motor/tranny mounts.....

(But don't take my advice, I'm a noob!! :gee: )

Sounds like a u joint issue to me (at least the clunking does). I live by Dos Logos and can look at if you like. Give me a call (I will pm you my number) if you want to dive it by (nice and slowly). I live off the 15 between Temescal Canyon and Toms farm. I am not the best mechanic but I have been wrenching on a similar rig for a while.

You should be fine with any name brand. I like spicer and precision joints. Spicer is much harder to find, thats why I generally go with precision. The ones from napa are pretty good too, but I can't recall the brand.

Back