PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in or around Corona...

Jeep Couple
February 4th, 2009, 16:36
Think maybe they could help me diagnose a problem with my Jeep?

I've checked all the tech sections and everything I've seen about vibration is someone with a new lift talking about driveshaft angle. I was wondering if anyone had some free time this week or weekend to see if they could help me figure it out!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

1xfloppy
February 4th, 2009, 17:03
post up info on the jeep man, what size lift and tires...year of the jeep all the info that could help...someone on here could help diagnose it from here with info dude!Think maybe they could help me diagnose a problem with my Jeep?

I've checked all the tech sections and everything I've seen about vibration is someone with a new lift talking about driveshaft angle. I was wondering if anyone had some free time this week or weekend to see if they could help me figure it out!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Jeep Couple
February 4th, 2009, 17:12
It's a 1997 XJ,4.0L, 5 sp.

33" tires and a 3.5" suspension lift and 1" spacers in the front.

It has a really bad vibration on acceleration. While crusing on the freeway I take my foot off the gas and there's a *thunk* then it stops, but when you press the gas, there's another *thunk* and it starts vibrating again.

I've put in neutral while coasting and rev'ed the gas and it sounds fine. So the problem is only while I'm in gear and it doesn't matter what gear.

1xfloppy
February 4th, 2009, 17:19
no sye i assume...not sure if its needed at that height...my buddy had horrible vibes doing the same thing...does it sputter at all?

Jeep Couple
February 4th, 2009, 17:23
No I don't believe it does and no there's no sputter

JohnX
February 4th, 2009, 17:34
Sure sounds liike a U joint issue. Won't be around there anytime soon to take a look, but good luck.

Jays siik xj
February 4th, 2009, 17:42
I agree with JohnX... Does sound like a U joint problem...
Hmm If I get back from Glamis early on Sunday I might be able to swing by.

Jeep Couple
February 4th, 2009, 17:45
is there anything I can do to check and see if that's the problem?

1xfloppy
February 4th, 2009, 17:51
the clunk maybe the tranny mount needing to be replaced, or a bad ujoint. the ujoint could also cause the vibes. with 3.5" of lift you may need either a tcase drop kit, axle shims, or a longer slip yoke out of a YJ.
that should stop the vibes

GSequoia
February 4th, 2009, 17:56
At just about any lift with a '97 you're needing an SYE (preferably) or a transfer case drop (kinda ghetto but cheap).

When you're on the gas does the shifter move around? (like move up a bit when you're gassing it). If so I'd replace the engine and transmission mounts (quite easy) and work from there.

Jeep Couple
February 4th, 2009, 17:56
It doesn't move from what I've noticed but I'll check it out tonight.

The t-case drop kit I know I have.

Original_MudButt
February 4th, 2009, 21:30
Think maybe they could help me diagnose a problem with my ............Jeep?

Jeep....... There's your problem!!!

Just kidding! I agree with above posts, if you already have the t-case drop then I would start looking at motor/tranny mounts.....

(But don't take my advice, I'm a noob!! :gee: )

jimbob
February 5th, 2009, 01:57
put jeep in gear, lay under jeep, grab drive shaft and try to twist it while looking at ujoints
there should be very little movement

xjjones
February 5th, 2009, 07:54
Sounds like a u joint issue to me (at least the clunking does). I live by Dos Logos and can look at if you like. Give me a call (I will pm you my number) if you want to dive it by (nice and slowly). I live off the 15 between Temescal Canyon and Toms farm. I am not the best mechanic but I have been wrenching on a similar rig for a while.

Jeep Couple
February 5th, 2009, 10:21
I drove it around a bit last night and the shifter doesn't move at all when I get back in on the gas. I'm going to crawl under there right now and chek the u-joints.

Jeep Couple
February 5th, 2009, 11:06
ok So I just got under there and it's most definitely a U-Joint. it's the one connecting the rear drive shaft to the rear diff.

Jays siik xj
February 5th, 2009, 11:12
Thats an easy fix... hit me up if you need a hand.

Jeep Couple
February 5th, 2009, 12:00
Is there a benefit to buying one that's more HD opposed to an OME one?

JohnX
February 5th, 2009, 12:02
You should be fine with any name brand. I like spicer and precision joints. Spicer is much harder to find, thats why I generally go with precision. The ones from napa are pretty good too, but I can't recall the brand.

Jeep Couple
February 5th, 2009, 18:49
4wheel parts has the Spicer joint for $36 so I'm just going to order it from them.

Jeep Couple
February 8th, 2009, 16:24
It was definitely a U-Joint!i

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/sk8er88_82/100_0868.jpg

I got the new one put in today! Thanks everyone for their help!

jeeperjohn
February 8th, 2009, 17:57
It was definitely a U-Joint!i

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/sk8er88_82/100_0868.jpg

I got the new one put in today! Thanks everyone for their help!
I had the same thing recently on a Tom Woods front shaft. This is what happens if you fail to lube the joints when you're supposed to. Luckily you and I did not have a spectacular failure. I had a rear u-joint let go once and the driveshaft broke the x-fer case output housing. Give the new joint a couple shots of grease every few months and you will be O.K.

Jeep Couple
February 9th, 2009, 09:55
Ya, fortunately the new one has a zerk fitting so that should make it a little easier.

Hey I noticed when I was putting in the new joint that the yoke going into the rear diff was Spicer.

Was that something the Xj's came with or was that added later?

RWKHausSupply
February 9th, 2009, 10:07
Ya, fortunately the new one has a zerk fitting so that should make it a little easier.

Hey I noticed when I was putting in the new joint that the yoke going into the rear diff was Spicer.

Was that something the Xj's came with or was that added later?

Spicer is Dana and vis versa. I believe Dana is the assembled Manufactured name (IE dana 30, Dana 44, etc) and Spicer is the individual parts manufacture name (IE yokes, ujoints, gears, etc).

Jeep Couple
February 9th, 2009, 10:16
got it thanks