• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch Rough Country lift: Impressions

Graeme

NAXJA Forum User
So I now have my 3" RC lift installed. Kit came with lower control arms and full leafs in the back. All in all, it was complete and of good quality.( Kit could have used some longer sway bar links, instead of the drop brackets, especially since I snapped both sway bar links when taking off the top nut).

Ended up lifting by a lot more than 3", maybe 4.25", although I am sure it's still settling.

I thought this kit was supposed to be "rough"? It's certainly a smoother ride on road than my well worn stock suspension that came out. I was surprised at that too, because the rear leafs are pretty hefty in comparison to the stockers.

Also, I ordered a TC drop kit(I don't have time to do the SYE this year...that's for next winter) but didn't install it yet. Even without it so far I don't have any vibes on a 2000/8.25/d35lp combo. Unless I am not noticing it? What does the driveline vibes feel like? My tires are fairly knobby, so they might be masking the vibes...if I can't feel any vibes, I'd like to leave the TC where it is. Opinions?

I had the Dunlop mud rovers on mine when I installed my lift and they masked alot of the driveline vibration... I didn't notice until I put the stock wheels and tires on to go and get my new tires installed. that is when I noticed all the vibes coming from the rear....I have the RC 4.5 which was installed in Nov and I am still at 6" of lift with it...Don't know how long it is going to take to break in. Mine is rough however but I am alot taller than you are for CA angle and that might be why mine is rougher than yours....

Any pics? I'm considering this kit as an alternative to doing a 2" lift. How bad was install? Did the kit come complete with u-bolts and stuff??

I have purchased and installed two of their kits, No problems on installing either one as far as there end. Usual bolt breaking problems on the jeep end. Mine did not come with U-joints those you will have to pick up from Napa.

Pretty easy to the lift though Spring Compressors help but be careful they can be dangerous.

Pics here Post 135+

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945280&page=9

I just installed there stage II kit a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with it. I did wind up putting in adjustable shackles in the rear and a 3/4" spacer in front on top of it to get me up to 4" but overall the best kit for the money.

Grimus, I am going by what the factory numbers were stated at. From center of the wheel to bottom of the flare is 23 and 23.5.
And I think factory is 17 and 17.5. Am I wrong on these numbers and don't have as much as I am thinking?
My rear shackles are still straight up and down after 4 months on this kit, no settleing at all and I think I would have a better ride if they were angled a little bit.

I had the Dunlop mud rovers on mine when I installed my lift and they masked alot of the driveline vibration... I didn't notice until I put the stock wheels and tires on to go and get my new tires installed. that is when I noticed all the vibes coming from the rear....I have the RC 4.5 which was installed in Nov and I am still at 6" of lift with it...Don't know how long it is going to take to break in. Mine is rough however but I am alot taller than you are for CA angle and that might be why mine is rougher than yours....

What is your tire pressures? I run 28 in front and 26 in the rear on the road...I have 33/12.50/ tires on a 8" rim..

I was running 30 at all 4 corners Only running 31's at the time. Now I am running 33/12.5 on 8" rim...I went with GY Wranglers w/silent armor.....I know, no where near as aggressive but they are better in the icy snow that we have here in the North and I have not had the chance to try them in any other condition yet....Might have to get some KM2's if I don't like these... might make someone a good deal on them...

Grimus, I am going by what the factory numbers were stated at. From center of the wheel to bottom of the flare is 23 and 23.5.
And I think factory is 17 and 17.5. Am I wrong on these numbers and don't have as much as I am thinking?
My rear shackles are still straight up and down after 4 months on this kit, no settleing at all and I think I would have a better ride if they were angled a little bit.

Both my kits came out right at 3- 3 1/4 inches of lift

they may have accidentally sent ya a 4.5 kit lol

I was running 30 at all 4 corners Only running 31's at the time. Now I am running 33/12.5 on 8" rim...I went with GY Wranglers w/silent armor.....I know, no where near as aggressive but they are better in the icy snow that we have here in the North and I have not had the chance to try them in any other condition yet....Might have to get some KM2's if I don't like these... might make someone a good deal on them...

Find some flat dry pavement to test your tread.. Use a piece chalk, draw a line on the across the tire, roll forward to see if the tire sits flat on the ground..Adjust tire pressures so you are riding on the tire right..This helped my ride out alot..HTH

I have the 6.5 lift from RC..

I'm sorry, I do have the 4.5. In my first post I was just commenting on how the ride is and about DL vibes then someone started talking about how much you really get out of these and I got off the subject....Sorry for wondering off the original post...

those getting more lift then expected please keep in mind that 3" is the lift height of a brand new jeep not one that has had some factory fatigue(sp).
The kit (full rear leaf packs) I got from you only netted me 2" in the rear and 2 1/4 in the front over what I had before I started.

I started with 17 1/2" in the front...now it's sitting right at 19 3/4
The rear was 17"...now it's 19.

Did I get a bad kit?
I find it kinda odd that both sets of springs (coils and leafs) ended up giving about the same amount of lift...

Last edited:
Here's a pic of how it sits now.

RC 3" Series II, 32x11.5 Swampers on RCX 15x8 steelies.

picture.php

FYI, the 3" with the fenders trimmed as shown is goo enough on the front to run with no additional bumpstopping. The back I'll think I'll have to do about an inch of extra bumpstop to prevent fender contact.

So far no vibes either...as far as I can tell.

FYI, the 3" with the fenders trimmed as shown is goo enough on the front to run with no additional bumpstopping. The back I'll think I'll have to do about an inch of extra bumpstop to prevent fender contact.

So far no vibes either...as far as I can tell.

looks absolutly perfect... im doin the sam elift sunday, i love th eno fender flares... dont touch your rig,flawless combo...

Back