• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 computer question

Rattman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 cherokee, I also have a 92 cherokee. I have been thinking about swaping the head from the 92 to the 2001. The 92 is dead. I am fairly confident with the swap except that the 2001 I have has the California manifold with the extra cats and o2 sensors. I was wondering if Chrysler was smart enough to put a jumper in the computer to switch off the extra o2 sensors, or did they use two differant computers? Second do the o2 emulators realy work, and is that the best way to go?

I have a 2001 cherokee, I also have a 92 cherokee. I have been thinking about swaping the head from the 92 to the 2001. The 92 is dead. I am fairly confident with the swap except that the 2001 I have has the California manifold with the extra cats and o2 sensors. I was wondering if Chrysler was smart enough to put a jumper in the computer to switch off the extra o2 sensors, or did they use two differant computers? Second do the o2 emulators realy work, and is that the best way to go?

The 2001's 0331 head has different exhaust ports so the 01’s headers will not fit the 92 head without an adaptor plate.
The 1992 head is missing the bosses for attaching the coil packs.
Search '0331 head' in the Street and Performance forum and you will find a lot of information on how to do the conversion since a lot of the 0331 heads crack and need replacement.

Does your state have smog inspections? If so, be careful about what you take off or bypass. Here in California, most techs really look at things and would find the 2 missing mini-cats and O2 sensors.
I have no idea if an O2 emulator would work well enough to fool a smog-test machine during the dynamometer drive-cycle test.
As far as I know, there is no jumper for the sensors.

Let us know how it turns out; I may need to do this someday.

I'm in the process of changing my cracked 0331 head out, so I've research it some. The only thing that you need to do is use an older exhaust manifold or aftermarket ebay $70) ex man. Problem with you is you're in California, so you probably can't get away without your precats. One of the threads said that someone (a member I think) was making adapter plates. I suppose that those would transition the bigger ports on the head to the smaller ports on the exhaust manifold. Or maybe you could grind the exhaust manifolds to kind of port them out a little. To get really fancy, you could have the outside of the manifolds welded up and grind out the inside to match up the ports. (Old school method of porting our VW aircooled heads.)

I am sorry if I mislead you guys, but I am not in California. The Jeep is just one that was speced out to be legal in California. I am in Oklahoma, we don't have any vehicle inspections at all. They got rid of them in 2001 saying that it was a waste of tax payer money.

I have done all the research as far a swapping the head. My only concern is when I put a early model header on to match the head, that the cats will no longer exist causing the O2 sensors to send erroneous messages to the computer. (I don't like the adapter plate idea)

Has anyone used the O2 emulators on their Jeep, or solved the problem in another manner?

Back