• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL/MIL on, but no codes?

fishbum

NAXJA Forum User
My check engine light has been on for a while, due to misfires is my guess...
Borrowed a friends OBDII scanner and it tells me that there are no codes?
It also says the MIL status is OFF.
huh?
Should I assume the scanner is messed up, as it's pretty clear the MIL is on!
This is a 2001 XJ 4.0L

Tried the scanner on my wifes vehicle last night as her CEL is on...
The scanner worked correctly and said there were two codes and the MIL is ON...

I know I should have codes - last weekend I tried to pass someone and must have had multiple misfires. The engine went into 'limp' mode and I had to pull over, shut off the vehicle, and restart it to get out of that mode. But no codes were stored.

found this via Google:
0900303 - 4.0L MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
Date: 08/01/03
Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE. This bulletin involves inspection of all engine exhaust valves and a decarbonizing procedure if necessary.

Details: The customer may experience an incident of engine misfire during certain vehicle operating conditions. The misfire may occur when the vehicle is operated between 50 - 70 MPH and under light loading conditions, e.g. slight uphill road grades. This condition may occur at all ambient conditions, but is more noticeable when ambient conditions are less than 0 C (32 F).

If the vehicle is equipped with On-Board Diagnostic (OBD), a MIL illumination may also have occurred due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Various single cylinder misfire DTC?s may also be present. If the frequency of misfire is high the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may place the engine in ?Limp-In? mode.

The misfire condition may be caused by one or more engine exhaust valves that are slow to close. Late closure of an exhaust valve may be the result of no valve rotation and associated build up of carbon on the exhaust valve stem.

This condition may occur when the engine is not allowed to run at engine RPM?s that are greater than 3,200 RPM. At 3,200 RPM or higher the engine exhaust valves will rotate if not impeded by high carbon deposits. Low engine RPM?s and high carbon deposits are associated with short trip driving where the vehicle engine is not allowed to fully warm to normal engine operating temperatures. Cold ambient temperatures will increase engine warm-up time and add to the opportunity of carbon deposit build-up on the stem of the engine exhaust valve.

What type of scanner are you using? Most scanners need to be programmed with the 4th and 8th VIN numbers of your vehicle for it to reckonize the codes.

Check the scan tool for a config button.

Back