• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare Tire - Do you carry one?

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Like the title says, I'm curious how many of you carry one while wheeling?

Is having a plug kit just as good?

I could see wanting one for an out of state trip, but packing one along for a weekend adventure seems like it could go both ways.

Discuss.

I havnt had a spare Or plug kit, and (knock on wood) havnt needed one yet.
My goal is to pick one up when i Upsize.

/ignorance

I do not carry one. I run Krawlers and beadlocks. I do carry a plug kit, patch kit, and some safety wire.

J

edit: Out of state trips, I have an extra tire (not mounted) that I take with me.

Last edited:
I always bring my full-sized matching spare. After cutting the sidewall on my old set and had to use my spare, I'm afraid to be without one.

i carry my stock doughnut, but im only running 235/75/15's... as soon as i make my hitch spare tire carrier i'll have a full sized spare.

I keep a full size spare in the rig when wheeling, or traveling for more then a few hours from home. Around town though I usually take it out, since the odds of blowing up a mud terrain on the street near home is slim...and even if it does happen, I can always get home and pick up the spare to swap.

~Scott

2 words. . . . go prepared !

i have never been without a full size spare. never needed one either, but have seen some nasty un-reparable things over the years and would prefer to be safe than stranded.

Weekend trips I pack light, spare., co2, patch kit.

Browns camp I pack as if I'm going alone.

Better safe then sorry, dead , or hungry !!

ALWAYS...and yes, a full patch/repair kit including 'synthetic' fishing line and every kind of plug imaginable. Onboard air, too, with storage tanks filled prior to setting out.

I've been pretty lucky for the past couple years, and never needed my spare. I always carried it with me on any wheeling trip. However, with the bigger shoes I'm trying to decide if I really want to carry a spare. Part of my reason is I don't know where I'm going to secure it. I'm not to enthusiastic about running a roof rack or tire carrier.

mojojojo said:
2 words. . . . go prepared !
That's why I wheel with you. :D

I totally agree though.

I guess it is like most things. It's scary until you have to deal with it and find another solution. Personally I carrie a full size spare. In fact I was thinking about getting another wheel and mounting a spare 32" BFG on it. Then mounting that on the roof so I'd have two spares! I'd only carry it during emergencies, etc...

I have my spare mounted on a custom bumper with tire carrier.

wth!?!?! Someone please delete this.

I used to only carry my spare with me if I was wheeling, just threw it in the cargo area, strap it down. Now I carry it all the time, basically because its heavy and I am lazy.

On my XJ, yes. I've needed it too, when I tore the shite out of my sidewall at Walker a year ago. I also have a plug kit (although I haven't seen it in awhile, I'd better locate it and make sure it's still viable)

On my CJ, no. I've been snooping around a little to try and find a cheap 38" mudder to mount on one of my extra rims, but cheap 38" mudders are hard to come by. I do carry the plug kit in the CJ, and needed it once years ago at Walker. Cut a pretty good gash in the sidewall of a TSL, took four plug worms and half a tube of gunk to seal it up. Got me home though.

Always. I also carry patch and plug kits, on board air and valve stems. I also usually have a spare seat so I can give those without a spare a ride out to the trail head...

Opie and I were having this discussion during the snow run: Hardcore 4x4 compared to Adventure Jeep. If you look at his rig he simply runs as light as possible. But he also has spares in his tow rig and trailer. My rig is set up so that I can basically handle a situation on my own. Opie pointed out that he tries to ensure that he is running with guys who can support him in the event of an incident ( take him to and from the trail head at least). I pack so that I can spend a few days in the rig and have at least the most commonly needed spares.
I think we had this question a couple months back and the best response was: Don't expect someone else to have what you need.

Back