• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans fluid level?

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
Can you check an aw4 fluid level when its cold. If so where should it measure.

The reason I ask is when I check the fluid level hot. I really can't tell if it is at the right mark. It comes off to quickly or there isn't enough or I am a moron and the level is fine. When I check it is wet as high as it needs to e just not much fluid on stick.

If you tip the angle of the dipstick against the light you will see a line where the highest fluid is. It is pretty hard to see but you can tell by the texture of the stick.

It is better to check your trans fluid level while the vehicle is in nuetral, and at operating temperature, because the fluid will expand. Some dipsticks have a cold fill level, and a hot fill level on them. I just looked at mine its has the bottom dot the cross hatches then the full mark. I think that bottom dot is the cold fill level. My XJ Fluid level sits at that bottom dot when cold, and then expands to the full mark when hot.

Remove the dipstick.

Wipe it clean.

Mark the area from the tip to the high mark with a permanent black marker. (Don't use paint--if it flakes off it will end up somewhere bad)

Contrast makes it easier to read.

Reapply black marker as needed. (Permanent Marker is really just a suggestion).

Remove the dipstick.

Wipe it clean.

Mark the area from the tip to the high mark with a permanent black marker. (Don't use paint--if it flakes off it will end up somewhere bad)

Contrast makes it easier to read.

Wow, that's a good idea. Why cant I think of smart things like that?

You really should check it hot, in neutral, for best results.

The marker trick was passed on to me by my Dad.

It will have to be completely cold, or at operating temp. to get the most accurate readings. it should be hot, and in neutral.

Also, if memory serves me right, overfilling is worse than a little low, hence the check hot (expanded fluid) and don't overfill warning.

So, if you could read it hot, would you do it?

Overfilling is the worst thing you could do. Are you just checking level, or are you doing a drain and fill?

Ok I am pretty sure is slightly overfilled or extreamly overfilled but I will check again completly cold and and after running at least an hour. That should be good

Last edited:
I you added fluid it will look overfull until the fluid settles down into the trans. The fluid will settle quicker if it is warmed up to operating temperature, and cycled through the gears.

please observe that the dipstick reading is taken in the corner of a large flat pan so even the smallest tilt of the jeep can make a big change in reading. Try to find a spot to park that the jeep sits level and use same spot for rechecks. The trans usually has to run at least 25-30 minutes to fully warm up and get a true reading.

Ok I just checked it cold allowed to cool for at 12 hours.

The fluid level is well above the hot full mark. The cold full mark is a good inch lower then the hot full mark.
The fluid is actually a lot more brown then red now that I saw it in sun light

Back