• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 cherokee dome light fire

thomk172

NAXJA Forum User
im looking at a jeep for sale which has had an interior fire..the owner says that the dome light had a short circuit which caused the fire. my question is what would have caused this, and if i disable the interior lights would there be any more chance of another electrical fire? thanks.

Whoa! That circuit only has a 10A fuse. It supplies power to the radio memory, door chime, interior light and possilly the keyless entry if it has the option. If there was a fire and it was the dome light that caused it then I have to wonder what happened to the fuse. Check the fuse block and make sure the proper fuse is in the fuse block. Long story short when a fuse is shorted it opens and prevents current flow. Something else happened, hard to say what. Replacing the fuse with the incorrect fuse may have made the wire the "fuse" thus creating a heating element and causing the fire. Only a guess. Check the overall condtion of the vehicle to see what else might be bad.

Whoa! That circuit only has a 10A fuse. It supplies power to the radio memory, door chime, interior light and possilly the keyless entry if it has the option. If there was a fire and it was the dome light that caused it then I have to wonder what happened to the fuse. Check the fuse block and make sure the proper fuse is in the fuse block. Long story short when a fuse is shorted it opens and prevents current flow. Something else happened, hard to say what. Replacing the fuse with the incorrect fuse may have made the wire the "fuse" thus creating a heating element and causing the fire. Only a guess. Check the overall condtion of the vehicle to see what else might be bad.

That or he bought those fuses from Harbor Freight that would not blow at the rated amperage. :wow:

I had the fuse not blowing thing happen to me. DON"T RISK YOUR WIRING BY USING CHEEP FUSES. Trailer wiring issue (rain) should have blown fuse but didn't (3/4 melted) melted wires instead. Took three weeks to trace and fix.

More to the point. My dome light also showed signs of a near fire when I dropped it down to remove the headliner. Just fix the dome light issues, or if you are really SCARED take the bulb out. The problem probably occurred on a hot day when sombody left the door open too long and the plastic started to melt.

Back