• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TENT TRAILERS

JESSE A

NAXJA Forum User
How are they, i have a chance to get one for very cheap, i want to know in the wind? experiences appreciated thanks

jesse

If the canvas is all in good shape then they can stand up fairly well in wind. I used one in Moab a few years ago and the weather was terrible for a couple days. Lots of wind and rain and it held up fine. we thought for sure it was going to come apart a couple times but it never did.

do the sides flap at all or is it fairly quiet, compared to a reg tent?

Its just like sleeping in a tent with a nice mattress on the ground. Plus side is more room to move around and more room to pack your crap. If you leave the windows down, fine sand can blow through the mesh screening. If you camp anywhere noisy, hardsides are much nicer.

It really depends on the trailer. My Coleman Santa Fe doesn't flap a lot, it's tied down fairly taut. Older canvas, and particularly canvas that's not maintained (clean, folded, and stored right) will stretch and flap.

man i always wanted one of these, very interesting topic, im gonna watch this thread...

1. My brother rented one for Ocotillo on New Years and liked it. The wind was rocking my motorhome pretty good one night and I expected to hear his family knocking on the door.
I asked how it was and they said no problem, slept like babies (drunk babies)

2. We were at a music festival in Az. last year and on the last night it blew unbelably hard. In all my life I've seen wind this bad maybe three times. When we woke up the next morning the camping area was a disaster area. 60+ outhouses all dominoed over on their side and there was one tent trailer with the fabric completly distroyed.
(They should have known it was time to put it down and sleep in the truck)

3. My Dad mentioned one time at an RV show they attended, it blew so hard it actually pushed several T/T's on to their side but did minimal damage to them.

I think they'd be fine in anything less than 70mph wind.

I forget my Palamino is in tow behind the XJs all the time. I have a basket on the back that when loaded w/ wood makes it sway crazy bad at 60 mph. The trick is load it up front, and use the proper drop hitch.

DSCF7350.jpg

DSCF7353.jpg

DSCF7359.jpg

DSCF7362.jpg

DSCF7363.jpg

DSCF7365.jpg

DSCF7366.jpg

Hey guys,

I got this trailer as part of the deal for the SMB i recently sold. I took it out this weekend and it worked great but Im looking at getting a Conqueror. Its and 87 Australian made Camp-o-matic (Kamparoo) Cub.

There are no rips in the canvas the wheels were recenlty powder coated and new tires put on. The bearings were also freshly greased. The wiring works and I have the title in hand.

I was thinking in the ballpark of $2000 obo.

Give me a call if interisted.

Thanks

Ian

323-775-2492

So what im getting is that for the most part it will be fine in the wind.

I have a 2005 Jayco Baja. It works well in all types of weather, just make sure you put it away dry or it can mold. I love it! I don't have any pictures of it open, but here it is behind my TJ...

DSC_3086.jpg

weve had 2 and liked them a lot other than when we go camping we hardly ever got to take them. Wind rain and snow were all ok with them but like its been said already the care of the canvas makes a huge differnce. You might consider one with windows that cover with canvas flaps our first one had them and it was a lot easyer to keep the wind and rain out of it with 2 layers instead of just tinted plastic windows (which were pretty nice actually)

Take a look over at Expedition Portal... several guys have reworked tent trailers...

Curt

If I could find a tent trailer with a toilet for a reasonable cost, I'd get one.

Back