• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swap time

tomcat

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I got towed to a friend's shop last night due to really bad rod knock and no power. looks like it is time for a motor. mine is a '99 with AW4. he has a '98 TJ with a 5 speed under a tarp that he was going to use the frame and tub from, it has 70K on the clock anyone know if i would have any problems swapping that in? the only thing I could find is that they converted between metric to standard fasteners between 98 and 99, but i can deal with that.

any input would be great.

Not to be a smartass, well, maybe a little.

First question: What engine do you have in your 99?

Second question: What engine is in your friends 98?

Was there only one engine option for both the XJ and TJ in those years?

I believe that the 4.0L is the only option for XJ, and pretty sure it was for TJ in that year, but not 100% certain on the TJ

Ok, if they are both late model 4.0 engines I think your problems would be minimal, if any.

But I have been wrong many, many, many times before.

Good luck.

Yes, both 4.0

As long as you reuse the miscellaneous parts from your original engine and the original harness, should be straight forward.

XJs have been (almost 99%) metric for their entire run, as have most vehicles since the seventies. There are SAE fasteners in a few spots, but other than spark plugs and lug nuts, I can't think of any.

T/housing bolts on a 90 4.0.

Back