• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep is a bit hesitant when starting

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
Small issue really, but the Jeeps new and I want to get everything sorted out before I hit any trails.

So, when I start the Jeep, it always turns over... but not very confidently. I've only had it for a week, and I replaced the spark plus last weekend along with all fluid. Did not replace cap or wires.

What else should I look at? Does a starter steadily get worse, or does it just stop working at some point? I was thinking of having my starter and alternator rebuilt just for peace of mind...

Thoughts?

Is it slowly turning over, or does it crank an crank then start?

If it cranks for a bit, it could very probably be the pressure regulator on the fuel pump is shot.... If it turns over slowly, I'd first check your battery, and go from there...

What year? The Renix say they need a lot of cranking to get the CPS sensor signal. My (new-2-me) 2000 feels like it is cranking slow, even with a new battery, compared to my other non-Jeep vehicles. I was worried about cold starts after sitting a few days, but it's still working as good as it did when it was warm out.

It has a brand new battery and when it starts its not slow, but gives a few more cranks than my old 99 did. It cranks a couple times and when it turns over sometimes it seems like the connection was a bit off (if that makes any sense). It is colder than usual around here with mornings being around -1ish... fuel pump makes sense though.

Sorry, it's a 93 AW4, 242.

Maybe it still a good idea to renew the plugwires and the rotor/cap.
Together with your new sparkplugs, it is a good start to go further.
Don't forget to use dielectric silicone grease for the rubbers and the contacts inside the rotorcap. :wave:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
It has a brand new battery and when it starts its not slow, but gives a few more cranks than my old 99 did. It cranks a couple times and when it turns over sometimes it seems like the connection was a bit off (if that makes any sense). It is colder than usual around here with mornings being around -1ish... fuel pump makes sense though.

Sorry, it's a 93 AW4, 242.

So test fuel rail pressure with gage.

If you hook up fuel pressure gauge to adapter on fuel rail, and turn the key to on, but not run, then shut it off, the pressure should read somewhere around 40-60psi (I can't quite remember) When the key is turned off, the pressure should drop to about 20psi (again cant remember) but not drop below that.
My 99 would go grom 50 to 0 in less than 30secs.... My regulator was shot....

So, considering that when it's running it runs really smooth with no stuttering or anything... could there still be an issue with my regulator?

yes, if your regulator is bad, then everytime you shut it off, all (or most) of the fuel will drain back to the tank. When its running, the pump provides the pressure. If the regulator is bad, then when you go to start, the pump has to take time to fill the fuel line and rail back up, which leads to longer crank times....

As far as I know, least 95+ jeeps, its ontop of the fuel pump assembly... Least thats where it is on my 99 auto...

I believe that all electronic I6 engines have them in the fuel pump assembly... otherwise it would be attacked to the line right before the fuel rail...

Could you explain the problem again?

Is it that the engine does not seem to crank over with gusto, or is it that it cranks too long before starting?

Back