• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YEt another Hood Vent Question

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
OK I searched and got too extensive results so figured I'd just ask. I have a 92 XJ and on the trail I run up around 230-240. I just added 1/4" hood spacers, and the way I installed my CB antenna I cut about 1" of the corner off my hood. Both of these allow some heat to be released but I still need more. I am looking at these:
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=LVR1005
or these
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=LVR1006

The point of this thread is should I be concerned with water getting under the hood and if so what are needs more protection? I already had one TPS go out because it got wet when I washed the jeep but is that the only vulnerable part under there?

not sure what else is vulnerable to water under there but a TPS is cheap at the JY.

as far as the vents, you can get very similar vent to the ones you linked to for much cheaper on ebay.

If you are in MO, in winter you should not need hood vents to keep engine temps down. You most likely have something else wrong.

x2 Something else is wrong if you are running that hot
That being said, I'll respond to your question:
If you jack the hood up about 1/2" or maybe 5/8", cut / bend the weather stripping & "lip" out of the way and bend the corners of the hood down flush with the fenders so it looks stock you are going to let more air out than any 150 dollar hood vents will. Bend the center section up a little bit to gain more air space & you are in even better shape.
If you aren't comfortable with bending up the hood, take your nice one off and get a JY hood of the same color to bend up. If you ruin it, its only 50 bucks or so and you've already got the nice one in the garage.

I haven't heard of anything else being vulnerable. If you jack / bend the hood or make a cowl of some sort, you are only taking the elements right at the windshield area - most of the electrical gizmos and whathaveyous are in the front of the engine compartment.

Thanks guys. What it would do is run up pretty hot then drop down like my thermostat is sticking. I intent on replaceing the TStat with a lower one and still doing vents. I like the look of the vents and I am still worried about under hood temps in the summer.

Do you have any pix of what your saying bending? I'd like to get a better idea of what your saying. I removed the hood liner and the weather stripping alreay and have a1/4" hood spacer in place already

I would recommend getting a set of Labaron Hood vents or even a set of Lumina Z34 hood vents. The Lumina hood vents come with a tray under them to direct water away from anything that is effected by water.
Those guys are right something else might be up with your cooling system. I was running hot like that here in AZ and about 2 weeks after running like that my water pump went out. So I changed that and put in new thermostat. Making sure the little hole in the thermostat is at the top and now Even at 110 out side temp it runs under 210.

Sorry, no pics. I just used washers though to my mind you'd be better off with a 2"x1" section of 1/2" flat stock or just another stack of the stock shims - something that bridges the gap between both bolts.
1/4" doesn't really allow much airflow. 1/2 - 5/8 or maybe more... put your hand at the air gap with the engine at temp and idling... you want to feel some air moving when the fan kicks on.

I took an angle bracket (L Bracket) and the holes lined right up. It's about 1/4". I am going to replace the TStat, do a full reverse flush, and add vents

I had vents on an old xj. I'm debating on putting a set on this one. I don't have a temp problem but I would like to prolong the life of under hood plastic components.
If you do, make sure you water proof the TPS, they do not like to get wet. I just used some "right stuff" sealant and spread it out.
My only other concern is the header getting wet while driving in the rain. I know it most likely gets wet anyway but it's just a thought. Somehow water on a hot header just doesn’t seem right to me.

I'd think it would have to be a TON of water coming down to produce any meaningful quenching or rapid-cooling action on the header... like hitting a water crossing at 15 MPH or shooting a garden hose through the vents at close range. The errant raindrop that might manage to make it through a vent or cowl hood setup - well, it might bug You but the header won't notice.

Whats the best way to water proof the TPS? I think I am going to put my vents toward the front of the hood on the outside edge (down by the radiator) I think that should keep water away from the TPS and the Manifold

You can go to West Marine.com and get a set of vents in white or black. Part number is WM Model #: 282387
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rugged white ABS plastic[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Predrilled with six holes for #8 FH screws[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Measure 4 7/8"W x 10 1/8"L[/FONT]
I have aset on my 88 XJ up by the windshield, and they work great. the good thing is they are only $7.29 each.

I have hood vents with no drip tray, they are pretty much right over the distributer and the intake manifold. I have only had water issued cause of them once, it was raining monsoon style and I went to the movies. When I got out the jeep was running poorly, but I still drove it home fine. Here are the vents:

On warm days you watch the heat shimmer up out of them. After it rains there will be a little watter pooled up on the intake manifold, after the engine heats up and you hit the brakes it will slosh arround and you will get a small cloud of steam out the vents :D

LeBaron's FTW!!! ( I have a pair for sale if anyone needs some )

I've had em in for a year or so, no pans or anything, and no issues.

DSCF1969.jpg

For rear hood spacers, use 3/4 inch square tubing and drill two holes using the spacer plate as a template. Slightly longer hood mounting bolts, and you are good to go!!

Does anyone have pictures of a hood raised 1/2"? IS it noticable? I may add a 1/2" spacer (remove my 1/4" spacer) and the vents.

Back