• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front hub and bearing problem

X

XJ-4-life

I had my drivers side fron hub assembly replaced, the bearings were toast and it caused some damage. So thats fixed, however the guy told me that there is another problem, I didnt understand what he was saying, but he said its something that will only effect my engaging 4 wheel drive.
Anyone who knows what the hell the guy was trying to tell me please help a fellow XJ'er out.

-richard

MoparManiac said:
what year XJ? axle u-joints? vacuum disco if applicable? front driveshaft u-joints ? need a little more info

Its a 1996 4.0 4x4 2 door. beyond that your speaking german to me. I am familiar with some suspension parts but in this area of the jeep I know nothing.

The axles are stock, as is every thing other than my suspension and exhaust.
I hope this helps. If not let me know how to identify the parts you were asking about.

you need to be able to tell us exactly what he said.

telling us it's something about engaging your wheel drive could be anything from the axle to the transfercase, and could be a difference from $10-$400.

call him back and ask him what it was he said was wrong.

Called the guy back, he didnt know exactly what the problem was and said I need to bring it back in, as he didnt really look at what was going on. I know he said something about something turning even when 4x4 was not engaged and that was the problem piece. I think the guy just wants some more labor hours off me......dirty mechanics, gotta love'em.

I have been looking for an excuse to do some work up front(locked axle) so maybe now is the time?

I really appreciate your help I know its very difficult to diagnose the problem with the limited information I have.

Richard

It should be a non disco axle, so vacuum disconect shouldn't be a problem, driving with a non disco axle turns all of the 4wd gear all the time (both axle shafts and front drive shaft). The mechanic might be reffering to your u joints if they are shot
maybe

My wild-arsed guess is that the mechanic saw the drive shaft turn when he turned the wheel and figured the front axle was stuck in 4wd (not knowing it was a non-disco axle and its supposed to do that).

lawsoncl said:
My wild-arsed guess is that the mechanic saw the drive shaft turn when he turned the wheel and figured the front axle was stuck in 4wd (not knowing it was a non-disco axle and its supposed to do that).

X2

That is the BEST news I've heard in a long time.....I appreciate you guys .02

A buddy told me he suspects the same thing but he is not really a Jeep person, so I didnt know how much of what he said to believe.

I love NAXJA, this is the best forum I visit.

Back