• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Deals?

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep has been sitting in my garage for about 2 and a half weeks now:tear:, just bought an optima battery to replace the old stock battery thinking that was my problem. Well it isnt, my battery gauge or whatever it is in the jeep is reading all the way at the bottom. past 9 on the gauge. so my alternator is craped out, looking at alternators from NAPA, they were quoting me around $175 for a new one...

My question is, is there anywhere i can find a replacement for cheap, or cheaper than $175?? I'm low on money and about ready to go to pull a part to get a new one...

What are my options?

Thanks,
Keil

Go get a V8 ZJ alternator from a Junkyard, Or new. they are higher Amperage.

I could be off, but i believe an XJ alt, is 90amps? and a ZJ alt is 110amps?

Something in that range

Thats the first time i've heard that?:dunno:

Well...IIRC, you can, but the older Jeeps were designed for less amps to be going to the battery from the alternator, and the worry is the smaller gauge wires can get over heated with a bigger alternator.

Either way, Keil, I think my new alternator (well it was new, until I put a hole in it) was like $70 for a schuck's one. Also, alternators at the junkyard ar $8, but they seem to go fast as you probably know. If you do go that route, get it tested at Napa before installing it. And I wouldn't worry about warranties personally...considering if an alternator fails on you (which it eventually will how we drive) it's probably not covered/ your fault. A.K.A. too much mud, damage, etc.

~Scott

P.S. Remove the engine skid while your waiting for a new one if you haven't yet, that thing's a PIA to remove when you need to get under the engine quick. I've said screw it completely to that thing due to repairs I had to make on the side of the road, and will be making an alternator water shield instead.

Keil if you go to a JY to grab a ZJ one grab me one too. I need a little more power. ;)

-Alex

Good luck finding two. I've scouted Arlington and Lynnwood multiple times the last few weeks. Alternators that were any good were all gone. :smoker:

~Scott

warranty covers alternator period... you get a new one if yours craps out...thats why im liking that option.

Thanks for the input everyone.

(Alex, just get another battery dude, and isolator, works damn well for me, many advantages. jumpstart myself with a flick of a switch, all power is coming from another battery for addons, can use them both for welding, list goes on and on. :))

Keil

only if you get me my damn hook... or do i need to go to another supplier other than Master Pull that will fullfill my needs?? :conceited

:heart:
Keil

Buy one!:laugh2:

If you actually pay for a hook, I will bring a splice kit home with me and put it on for you. (If your reading this Victor, can I borrow a fid?):D

-Alex

I would gladly buy one, but the rep for Master Pull *cough Alex cough* isnt very motivated to find out which hook i need and willing to hook me up with the sale.....:)

Keil

warranty covers alternator period... you get a new one if yours craps out...thats why im liking that option.

Thanks for the input everyone.

(Alex, just get another battery dude, and isolator, works damn well for me, many advantages. jumpstart myself with a flick of a switch, all power is coming from another battery for addons, can use them both for welding, list goes on and on. :))

Keil

Have you removed the old one and had it checked at a battery shop yet? If not you may want to, It maybe good and your ecm is bad. Then you will have to bypass the ecm to get it to charge.

Dave

That explains why the ones with warranties cost so much...well, that's up to you I suppose! :wave:

~Scott

Back