• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 or 231....

Joepoppa1

NAXJA Forum User
I am debating whether or not to swap put the tcase in my 93. I currently have the 242. I love the fact that its beefy, it came stock behind some v8 FSJs, and I love that it has the full time 4hi option. but on the down side, expensive SYE and not too much aftermarket support... I'm on the bubble over this one...How can I justify swapin in the 231? I live in the Dallas metroplex and we do see some ice and the roads get slick after rains, and that is when the full time hi shines. but on the flip side, I don't like the hackand tap SYE. I have to do something because the dern xmember hangs to low with the drop kit. I am currently at about 3.5" of lift on 30s. I have the rustys 3" kit, but the fronts are sagged and have a 2" spacer and the kit comes with 3.5" rear leaf packs... WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!?!?:dunno::confused1:wow:

I am in the same boat and am curious about other people's opinions as well. Another thing to consider is lockers...If you ever plan on adding them with the 242 you have to get a fully selectable locker like an ARB, Ected, or Ox...which aren't cheap...With the 231 you have the option of a lunchbox locker like a Lockright or an Aussie...which cost far less.

Yeah but I think you guys are missing the point of his post...With the 242 you have one option for an SYE (hack and tap), it sits lower, you can't run a lunchbox locker, and the is no aftermarket...For a daily driver that doesn't need an SYE yes it is great and the full-time 4 wheel drive is awesome, but for something that sees the trails much I don't know...

why can't you run a LB locker?

itd basically be the same as putting a locker in the rear right? and it would only be engaged when in 4 hi, so youd be on slick or ill roads like...why no LB locker?

You can run a lunchbox locker, but if you do you can't use the full time 4wd. I don't know the specifics as to why exactly but it has something to do with the way the full time works that it is basically incompatible with a lunchbox locker.

I bought my 242 tail shaft conversion from Tom Woods 2 years ago and its been flawless. They may not have an on-hand supply of modified 242 tail shaft housings, so you may need to send yours in to them. (usually the output shaft and the housing are part of the core charge).
Right now I'm running 33x10.5's D30/D35, open front and Detroit in the rear with 4.56 gears and Superior 4130 CrMo shafts in the D35, and the 242 does everything I need it to do. Love the full time 4 wheel drive!

I am debating whether or not to swap put the tcase in my 93. I currently have the 242. I love the fact that its beefy, it came stock behind some v8 FSJs, and I love that it has the full time 4hi option. but on the down side, expensive SYE and not too much aftermarket support... I'm on the bubble over this one...How can I justify swapin in the 231? I live in the Dallas metroplex and we do see some ice and the roads get slick after rains, and that is when the full time hi shines. but on the flip side, I don't like the hackand tap SYE. I have to do something because the dern xmember hangs to low with the drop kit. I am currently at about 3.5" of lift on 30s. I have the rustys 3" kit, but the fronts are sagged and have a 2" spacer and the kit comes with 3.5" rear leaf packs... WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!?!?:dunno::confused1:wow:

The 242 vs 231 debate is hashed over in a dozen threads. Search. With 30" tires, a T-case swap is a LOW priority.

actually i have 31s and a t-case swap is a huge priority. theres more to wheeling then having huge tires, sometimes having the right axles and right t-case will help more.

the biggest reason my t-case is a huge priority is because im in a ZJ with a 249 that blows ass.

Another vote for keeping the 242.

x2 on the Tom Wood. A little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. Kind of surprised you need a SYE at this point. I ran a 5.5" lift with a .75" TC drop (essentially lifting the TC 4.75") for 6 years before finally getting a SYE. Vibes were hardly noticeable and I never wore out any driveline parts. Maybe it's a pre '97 vs. post '97 thing... I was under the impression that the older XJ's had less problems in this arena though?

I decided to do the SYE when I upgraded the rear end to a D44 so I'd only have to buy a new driveshaft once. Something to consider if you're planning on getting rid of the D35.

I have the 242D from a Dakota and its 3 inches longer then the Jeep 231 so I didn't need to drop my transfer case.

Wouldn't a longer TC actually contribute to the problem? The whole point of a SYE is to make your TC shorter (and driveshaft longer) so that your driveline angles are decreased.

:dunno:

I am debating whether or not to swap put the tcase in my 93.
here is the simple decision branch: if you want to use the jeep for all-wheel drive on slick surfaces (ice, rain, mud) then the 242 is going to be your best bet. if you want to use the jeep for four-wheel drive on loose surfaces (gravel, dirt, mud) then either will work but the 231 will work better.

Back