• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan

Not same year, but I doubt it changed. You would want to remove the oil pan and clean up the gasket surfaces before replacing the gasket. You loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine with a board on a jack under the vibration damper. Then you can slide the oil pan back. Along the way, you have to disconnect a few other goodies like TOC lines and exhaust pipe. If it were me, I'd retorque the main and rod bearings while I had it open.

Or, if your XJ is lifted enough, you should be able to pull the pan without messing with the mounts

I have a 92' cherokee that at the time was running a 3.5" lift and I was able to remove the pan with out jacking anything up and I only had to remove the brackets for the trans cooler lines which come off anyways when you remove the pan bolts. I let my Jeep sit for a week before removing the pan and there was hardly any oil dripping. Second, I bought the one piece oil pan gasket with the metal reinforcement and applied black rtv gasket sealer between it and the pan which made the install really easy since I did it alone and the rtv sealant kept the gasket in place. I would also suggest checking the torque on the main caps since you are already under there and maybe replace the rear main seal. It is very easy to do and will save you the headache if it starts to leak later and you have to remove the pan again.

Back