• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ALTERNATIVE LOCK ANTI-THEFT SYSTEMS?

XJCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and didnt find too much help. I recently purchased a 97 XJ Sport and seen the stickers on the window and never thought a thing of it. Today the fiancee and I went to the store and she seen this thing under the dash below the steering wheel. So I felt around and there are wires going up behind the dash. It has a little key-ring with a quick-release on it to pull out a chip of some sort and am assuming this is the ALTERNATIVE LOCK ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM? Is it just a "kill-switch" of some sort? Is this a factory item? Any ideas? From what I've searched for should I pull the chip and keep it on me? Possibly move it to a more hidden location?? Any help would be great!
Thanks guys!

Here's a pic:

dscf0022ku1.jpg

Last edited:
Mine kills the starter switch..But i can go under the jeep to start it....All it does is slow the guy down, which means he will walk away 9 times out of 10..

Mine kills the starter switch..But i can go under the jeep to start it....All it does is slow the guy down, which means he will walk away 9 times out of 10..

i have no power locks and am assuming thats why it was installed. so its just one small step to aid in the "determent" of car theft? in other words if i have the chip on me and my fiancee goes to take my jeep it wont start at all?

Does it crank? Like i said mine just kills the starter..But you can make them kill the car too from what i was told..Mine was on when i got the jeep, found it the hard way..Wife hit it with her foot..Poped it out

I just went out and pulled it. tried to start it and no crank or anything. i pulled it while it was running and it stayed running, engaged the shifter to reverse and it went put into drive and she still went.

I think i may actually end up having this removed. it says on this page here http://www.apmweb.com/apm.htm that it comes with two keys and i only have one. may be a good idea to disable this entirely and change the keys and locks. Especially considering i was only given one key with the vehicle.

I install a switch to kill my dizzy power...With all the other switches it looks normal..I havent put a key in mine for years, to lazy to change it after it broke...LOL

Back