• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Thread About NP242 Stuck in PT 4WD

javajeep

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep is 1997 with the NP242 Selec-Trac transfer case. The transfer case was rebuilt about 2 years ago.

In any case, my wife mostly drives this and has been complaining about making turns. It may sound like she drove it a lot in this state, but actually she drove to the stop sign and turned around to come home -- about 100 yards. I was getting ready to change the u-joints, but after doing some detective work, I think the u-joints are fine for now.

My heep is getting stuck in PT-4wd. The indicator light is off, but all of the symptoms of driving on pavement in pt-4wd are there. What really clenched the diagnoses was that the symptoms disappeared when I put it back in FT-4WD -- where it will stay until fixed.

I thought I knew all of the tricks -- putting in neutral -- driving backwards a few feet, punching the accellerator for a few seconds, etc., but I am finding that the tricks are no longer working. I searched this problem on this forum and seems common. I am starting a new thread to ask for some more detail on fixing the problem.

I also noticed that a lot of people discussed the linkage. Could someone give me some more info. on the linkage? Can it be adjusted without dropping the transfer case? Also, what else could it be, if not the linkage? Any help would be appreciated?

the tire sizes/circumferences should all be nearly the same and tire pressures should all be the same. also coasting in neutral may help unload the drivetrain.

X2, try finding a slick surface (ice, snow, gravel, wet grass, ect) and get on it hard enough to break the tires loose. Dad found things like that can help in these cases.

i get mine out of 4WD by driving in FT at a decent speed somewhere around 35-45 and quickly shift it into 2WD. and i hold my hand on the lever while i tap the throttle, or coast, maybe switch between neutral and drive. usually you can feel it click into 2WD when your hand is on it. thats always the easiest way for me. its always a pain when im going slow.

Back