• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Long Arm

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
Project long arm is nearly complete. I Bought the Teraflex long arm upgrade and I was very pleased with how beefy this system is. It looked much weaker in the pics on their website. It has Johnny type joints at the axle end and vulcanized rubber at the frame end. As you will see in the following pics I had to modify the mounts due to existing mods on my jeep. This kit would fit excellently on a stock jeep. Many thanks to Ryno44 who helped me out and took pictures for me.

This the reason you need long arms at this level of lift. The lower control arms are at way too much of an angle causing death wobble from hell.
DSCF1011.jpg

Once the control arm is removed off goes the bracket on the frame.
DSCF1015.jpg

The naked frame.
DSCF1017.jpg

Dean got into the act and helped me plasma cut the brackets off, Way to go Dean!!
DSCF1024.jpg

The rod ends of the kit are so beefy I had to cut a notch in my previous control arm skidplates.
DSCF1025.jpg

Test fitting the frame mount bracket.
DSCF1029.jpg

Uh oh, gonna have to modify the brackets due to my slider setup.
DSCF1030.jpg

A little notch here will do it.
DSCF1034.jpg

Here's the only problem I saw with the kit. One of the bolts is right under the rod end so I had to grind down the head of the bolt so it wouldn't hit the rod end. Note that this probably wouldn't be necessary on a stock rig. Mine is modified with 1/2" crossmember mount bolts.
DSCF1035.jpg

The arm mounted up.
DSCF1036.jpg

The kit calls for modifying the stock crossmember. That's just not my style so I had to make a new crossmember. I used 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" tube and welded the mounting bars included in the kit to the new crossmember.
DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1042.jpg

I will post more pics as I finish this project. I am going to incorporate the stock xfer case skidplate into my new cross member and then I have to paint everything.

Looking good man, How much does this kit run?

Are those heims? What kit is that? The Teraflex site only lists a JK long arm upgrade kit. Is that the one you got? Not sure it would be any different for the XJ. Looks pretty pricey compared to the RE one.

Looks good John, glad I was able to help a little. Thanks for letting me take a turn with the plasma cutter, the only problem now is that I want one! LOL!

It still uses stock length uppers?
Yes it uses the stock length uppers. I am glad I have adjustable ones so I can make them a bit longer. Even with the arms being unequal length, I think it will be a huge improvement over short arms. Since the JKS upper arms can rotate freely there should be no binding at all. The difference is there will be more caster change with suspension movement but it should not be noticable on the road.

Yes it uses the stock length uppers. I am glad I have adjustable ones so I can make them a bit longer. Even with the arms being unequal length, I think it will be a huge improvement over short arms. Since the JKS upper arms can rotate freely there should be no binding at all. The difference is there will be more caster change with suspension movement but it should not be noticable on the road.

That's the thing I don't like about that kit and you will notice the caster change on the street everytime you accelerate/decelerate or load the rear down and it will change the pinion angle with it.

Rotation is not what you need if you run long shocks. Rubber bushings only work well when the flex isn't too much that's what Johnny jointed arms are for. A arm that twists in the middle will do nothing for long travel when the arm in forced sideways as the suspension flexes.

I finished the install, now I just gotta get it aligned. I drove it a little and I noticed the nose dives under braking. All in all it's a smooth ride though. It should be even better once the alignment is done. Here's what the final install looks like.
DSCF1045.jpg

Back