• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Seat Track stuck in 97 XJ

scottjcu

NAXJA Forum User
I need recommendations on how to fix the power seat track on the driver's side of my 97 xj. The seat has been malfunctioning for a while and finally got stuck forward and up after my girlfriend drove it. I ordered a new switch for the seat and now it moves forward and backward but not up and down. The switch is definately working, because I can hear the motors when I try to move it down, but the seat won't go down.

I am going to unbolt the seat tonight for a better look at the motors and drives, but I am not sure what I should look for.

Thanks.

Look for stuck stuff first, my mechanical passenger seat stuck when my wife went to adjust it, found a thong belonging to I don't know who, nobody would own up to it [size 3]..... so I figure it was my sons girlfriends.... and just like her it was a bitch to get out too :D.

Unfortunately, I didn't find and thongs stuck in my seat. There isn't anything stuck in there at all that I can see. I took the seat off the track and plugged it back in and tried to move the worm gears. The gears won't move on thier own, but if I help them get started they will turn a few revolutions and then bind up again.

When I put a wrench on the gears, they will turn but they fell like they are catching repeatedly and then free up for a few revolutions before they bind again. I am starting to think that the motors are damaged...

Any other thoughts?

Those motors have plastic gears and they are probably stripped. First they work intermittently and then get stuck. I have read on here that you fix them by fabricating a new one but thats WAY above my skill level. I have the same problem right now on my 96. I have taken it apart and it appears for us less mechanically inclined the solution is to replace the entire assembly. I haven't even called the dealer to ask how much (heard of prices from 500 to 1000) and I can't find one at a salvage yard. Good luck!

Back