• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rocks in a can

wvredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Is the sound that is coming from the bottom of the tranny. I have pulled the cover and tightened the hell out of the flex plate bolts, and visually checked for cracks. It cannot be the exhaust, or the tcase. What else in there could make this sound. It only does it when i am at hard flex, or when i first put a load on it? It will idle doing it if it is flexed. Any suggestions?

Well, once upon a time (actually, it was twice) the cats on my full-size Bronco went to Heck (place right next door to H_LL) and the honeycomb was slamming around inside the housing--pert near made me go deaf!

Check your cat.

Well, once upon a time (actually, it was twice) the cats on my full-size Bronco went to Heck (place right next door to H_LL) and the honeycomb was slamming around inside the housing--pert near made me go deaf!

Check your cat.

x2 that sounds like a cat to me. Hit it with a hammer to see if you hear that rattling noise. Don't beat the hell out of it though! :D

Could this be a bent or cracked flywheel?...

Bent or cracked flexplate would be a somewhat consistent noise, "rocks in a can" would be random.

Yes, motor and trans mounts could be allowing that much shifting.

let me guess...does it idling on hills, under load, accelerating. but on flat ground under no load doesn't make any noise. and quits making noise whenever you let off the gas.

also wont do it in neutral.

had a torque converter do this one time. im not sure what the cause was. i think it was a worn bushing, but shimming it out just a little resolved the problem

check the harmonic balancer. when mine was going out, the rubber in between the two pieces was sticking out and hitting the mechanical fan. that and bad motor mounts could cause it to only be intermittent

Back