• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrong head on the motor?

fraige

NAXJA Forum User
i had to have a used motor put in my 01 XJ and apparently the peopel i got the motor gave me the wrong motor. and now im getting a random misfire code. the plugs and the whole coil pack have been replaced and its still there. so i took it in and i was told its the wrong head for my year of jeep so i need to find out where to find out where i can look to find out what year that motor is so i can put the right coil pack on it. any idea guys?

Need more info. Is it a 4.0L? Was the motor new, used, rebuilt? Was it a longblock or complete pull out? If it had the valve cover, was it aluminum or steel? What number was on the old spark plugs? Did you change the flexplate?

The head on the 2001 4.0L is prone to cracking, but can easily be swapped to an earlier year as long as it is not from a renix era engine (87-90)

it is a 4.0,used, complete pull out, not sure. the old plugs were bosch platinums. and no didnt change the flexplate as far as i know.

The head shouldn't have anything to do with it. The electronics need to be compatable with each other. The heads before the 0331 (late '99-'01) don't have the bosses for the coil pack. Seems like random misfire could be related to injectors also.

Forget about that head crap they told you and check out your cam position sensor indexing. There are many threads on the forum about that.

what plugs are you running now? if its still bosch, throw them out. even though they "fit" they dont have the correct resistance. i work at a parts store and we get tons of returns on the bosch plugs for misfires. put in what OEM calls for

The only thing that matters a little is the head number. It visible from the top halfway back in the middle on the drivers side. If it says 0331, it's the correct head for late '99 thru 2001, which is bad news because they crack. An earlier head is better, but the coil rail needs to be mounted on adapters. But none of this matters for your problem. Figure out what is wrong. It's not your head or engine year.

Back