• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj will not start without the starter arc'd

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
yeah so i have full power to all my accessories lights stereo interior lights and what not. i went campin n drove about 60 miles freeway, stopped at a mini mart shut her off, came out n it wouldnt turn over or crank or anything, battery cables were okay and tight and all my stuff worked but no start. so i used a wrench and connected the positive lead to the switch wire on the starter and it cranked and started. what could this be? 94' xj 4.0L aw4 np231 recently put in s.y.e. 4.5" lift 33" tsl's.

try holding the ignition in the start posistion and cycle the shifter between neutral and park, sometimes this helps

nah man i took out the NSS, cleaned it very thouroughly and re-installed it. but i didnt adjust it on the re install is there a certain technique to this?

Adjustment is covered in the JP Magazine article.

Follow the link.

The 1990 FSM has a 12 step procedure, and I don't have a scanner or time to type it in.

You could check the info at http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/ at the bottom of the page under Technical Index and Reference and then the section on Manuals.

I think you will find it there on 5-90's website.

Good Luck.

okay so when i unplug my neutral safety switch connector from my harness. i turn my key to the on-position and check if there is any power cycling through the connectors that flow 12v in neutral, and park. on the connector these are B, and C, or the middle bottom 2 wires. from my knowledge im expecting atleast one of these to be hot in the on position, and show continuity when in the start position but it doesnt.

so for testing sake, i took a test light to my batteries positive then pronged either the B or C plug inside the connector and if i held the test light on either one, and touched hte other with a wire running to my batteries ground, the ground wire would spark and short. what does this mean? it cancels out my NSS being bad apparently the hot from the key in the start position isnt even getting through to the NSS for codes. any ideas on what could be the culprit?

its not to uncomon for the starter sylenoid (sp?) to go out. if it starts jumping the terminals, that is the most likely the culprit.

If he is jumping the starter between the terminals on the solenoid, and it starts, then the solenoid is good.

If it is not the NSS, then check the starter relay.

TEST IT!

Voltmeter or test light, check the primary lead from battery to starter relay, no power repair connection. Next, using a voltmeter or test light check terminal marked "IGN". Turn key to "START" while observing voltmeter/test light. No voltage, locate and repair open circuit from ignition key. If voltage at "IGN", then test for voltage at "SOL" with key in "START", no voltage, replace starter relay.

Check your ground for the starter relay circuit. Just had to help a buddy troubleshoot his Jeep that was doing the exact same thing. It turned out to be a bad ground. If we hooked a jumper ground up from the back of the main fuse block in the engine compartment (I think it was a brown/black wire on the back side of the starter relay) then it would start.

Did you ever figure it out? I am having the same issue with my 88. Will not start without arching the starter. Dont want to spend $100 for a starter if I dont have to.

Come on, pay attention please! If it starts by arching the starter, it is NOT THE STARTER. Work your way back. Check for juice to the starter soleniod when you turn the key. You won't have any. If you do, the problem is that connection. Then work your way back to the starter relay. Check for juice going in and coming out (when you turn the key). By this point, you will probably have found the problem. Check fuses first.

Back