• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Warning Reset

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday my brake warning light came on (same light as the parking brake light), Did notice a different brake pedal feel. I checked the fluid and topped it off, the reservoir wasn't dry so I don't figure air in the lines is a problem. How do I reset the warning light, I disconnected the battery negative for a while but no luck.

if your brake warning came on and your brake pedal feels different then you have a problem that needs to be fixed. inspect your brake calipers up front for fluid leakage, then remove your rear tires and brake drums and inspect the wheel cylinders for leakage. if you still dont find your problem inspect all your hoses, lines and fittings.Once you fix the problem the light will turn itself off. Remember, properly functioning brakes dont only ensure your safety, but everyone elses on the road around you. I would say just change the brake warning sender on your proportioning valve,but you said your pedal feels different. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

I know, I failed to mention that the normal pedal feel returned once I topped it off. And I do know that I'm not leaking anywhere.

10-4. sounds like its just the sending unit for your warning light then. easy fix. look at your proportioning valve, which is right below your brake booster/ master cylinder assembly. you should see one wire going to the center of it on the top. disconnect the wire, remove and replace sensor, plug it back in, and thelight will shut off. If memory serves me correctly the senders only about 20 bucks or so.

Ok, I'll give that a go, thanks.

Check your lines. My brake light came on the moment one burst before a red light signal downhill

i had a little leak once and when i slamed on my breaks it became a big leak long story short i would press the break really hard once or twice and see if your fluid level goes down or if the breaks get soft again

the brake warning lamp is triggered by a pressure differential style switch-

if you've got the light, you've experienced a pressure differential (leak)

more pressure in one half of the system causes the internal valve to move to the opposite side and ground the circuit for the lamp. failure of the "sending unit" in the "on" position would still be caused from a system failure, so I doubt that changing the unit will result in any change. You'll need to repair the cause of pressure loss (leak) and then bleed the system to regain a centered switch and proper braking. Sometimes, a switch will center itself with proper system pressure, but I'd plan on a full bleeding after completion.

Yup, what he said ^^^^^^

To reset the proportioning valve, apply hard pressure to the pedal.

If your brakes work properly, it should reset.

As Shorty said, it works off differential pressure, so you may indeed have a brake issue.

Can also be caused by a bad master cylinder. If the front or rear section of the master begins to fail it will not produce enough pressure causing the switch to trip. You possibly would have no external fluid loss.

Well I'll mess around tomorrow and see what happens. See if I can get it in a friends garage tomorrow and if I cant get it fixed shortly I'll have a pro take a look.

Well okay... Pressed the pedal really hard and got the light to go out. Something may have happened with the "pressure differential" when I had two wheels off the ground and was teetering back and forth. But basically its out, and If it comes back on then I'll end up diving a little deeper.

Having the same issue. But i rolled the jeep. Fluids are good replaced the sensor. No leaks anywhere. I really dont wanna get into replacing the master cylinder yet. Any other ideas guys?:dunno:

Back