• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

optma gel battery how to charge

They do specify a voltage-regulated charger, so you should verify what you are using to meet their specs.

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, but when I was having battery charging issues a friend of mine (mechanic and fellow Jeeper) told me to do whatever I could to stop my Redtop from being drained completely, as afterward they don't like to hold a charge for very long. No idea if this is true or not, but he knows his stuff.

i got a dead battery in my jeep is a red top optma gel cell spiral wound battery... do i need a special charger to charge it?

1-its not a gel cell battery,its an AGM battery
2-they have VERY specific charging requirements

Well, for what it's worth, I've hooked up my red top to a "Power On Board" charger I've gotten from Sam's Club without any problems. Got to love the Optimas as my red top has been accidentally drained down to nothing (from leaving the switch on for my onboard air) and has always been recharged to hold a charge. Not the best for them, but dang is mine durable! Considering that my red top has lasted about 10 years now and most el cheapo batteries don't make it 3 years for me, I'd say charge away. You might one day have to replace your red top but it would still be cheaper in the long run. HTH.

If you go to your local auto store, they sell chargers that have a specific setting for the AGM batteries.
They are the same price as the regular chargers FYI, usually they charge both lead acid batteries and have a switch for AGM's to select.

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, but when I was having battery charging issues a friend of mine (mechanic and fellow Jeeper) told me to do whatever I could to stop my Redtop from being drained completely, as afterward they don't like to hold a charge for very long. No idea if this is true or not, but he knows his stuff.

Yep! Ran one of mine dead used several kinds of charger but could never get it to recover.

Ive ran mine into the ground more times than Id like to admit.8yrs though,proper charging is the key!

Back