• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Obama and Unions

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
what do you think of Unions?

I am for Labor Unions..I think they are necessary.

BUt, I am not for Teacher Unions.
I think most Teachers are not qualified.
Look at the Public School systems.
They keep rubber stamping diplomas, putting these
kids out to the work force ill-prepared.
I think Teachers should be "graded" by how
well their students learn. If the Teacher is in-effective, that Teacher needs to leave. With the Teachers Union, you can't fire them

What do you all think?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-touts-middleclass-task-apf-14209599.html

BOB

Personally, I think we should be focusing on getting illegals out of the country first....

Then cleaning up fraud.....i.e., welfare/unemployment/disability fraud

Then enacting a fair tax system: www.fairtax.org

Term limits for Senators and Representatives....

Limiting what people can sue for and for how much, is the first step in fixing healthcare in this country - medical insurance is expensive b/c malpractice insurance is expensive b/c our judicial system lets people sue doctors for $700 million in "pain and suffering" because the doctor tried his honest to goodness best, but there was still some pain following a surgery that didn't go so well b/c the person being treated weighed 400 pounds and by law, doctors can't refuse to treat someone....etc etc....(yes, I am out of breath from reading my own long run-on sentence, but it makes sense none-the-less)

it's obvious that he is thanking ALL his voting groups.
illegals, anti-Gitmos, Unions, non-working (by choice) SOB's,
the feminists (abortion activists), ...
it's not over...we'll see some more thank yous soon.

BOB

I dont support unions. I dont understand why someone should have to pay someone else to do their job. If your a good worker and are doing your best, it speaks for itself. If the job doesnt pay good or have the benefits you want. Then you should have to work hard enough to get a job that covers your wants.

The Union where I work is always trying to find a reason to sue the company. (no I am not a member)

They just won a multi million dollar lawsuit and a lot of the olt timers got some money. But like the Auto workers, how can you expect to keep your job if you continue to take all the company's money?

I guess that comes from me being a company person and understanding that its a buisiness. They cant pay everyone a ton of money and give them everything they want and still be in business.

I also think they should be able to fire people without fear of a lawsuit.

I dont support unions. I dont understand why someone should have to pay someone else to do their job. If your a good worker and are doing your best, it speaks for itself. If the job doesnt pay good or have the benefits you want. Then you should have to work hard enough to get a job that covers your wants.

The Union where I work is always trying to find a reason to sue the company. (no I am not a member)

They just won a multi million dollar lawsuit and a lot of the olt timers got some money. But like the Auto workers, how can you expect to keep your job if you continue to take all the company's money?

I guess that comes from me being a company person and understanding that its a buisiness. They cant pay everyone a ton of money and give them everything they want and still be in business.

I also think they should be able to fire people without fear of a lawsuit.

x2. The military has their own "union" of sorts...well, its called civil service. Anyone ever tried to get a GS or GG fired? It's damn near impossible. These people get hired, half of them realize all they have to do is show up, not do shit, and you can't touch them.

Congress is also like a union. All you have to do is serve 5 years and you're in their pension program. Another good thing about Ron Paul - he calls it immoral and refuses to participate :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_pension

What's a "GG"? I know about "GS" and "GW" grades, but I don't think I've dealt with "GG" grades.

Labour unions had their uses, and some still do. Union hiring halls are helpful to tradesmen, and (in many cases,) they do serve to keep major employers honest and set the example.

However, unions have gotten entirely too much power these days, and (like anyone else,) they are jealous of their prerogatives. And, like any petty government bureaucrat, they're not willing (or able?) to give up any of the "power" they've gained, even if it's the right thing to do. In that sense, the time of the labour union has come and gone (in case you're wondering, Teamsters #556 and #667 here. Local #556 was absorbed by #667 after the Riga brothers were convicted of various offenses...)

I'm not going to say that the unions should be dismantled - after all, they do still fulfil some very useful functions. However, for the good of the people and the economy, they do need to slow down, step down scale just a bit (or three!) and sacrifice things for the greater good. How many UAW people are hideously overpaid? Think that might be why people are buying more imports - because domestically-produced vehicles end up overpriced? I just bring that up as an example because they've been in the news so much of late, but they're not the only ones.

5-90 has some good points. some of these workers on assembly lines
in Ford are getting paid $60-$80K a year to put a plastic piece on your car. Several hundred "plastic piece's" and you have an expensive car.
When I was a Teamster, I got agood wage for driving a forklift. I busted my ass, got my job done in six hours. They'd try to get me to sweep the floors, the Union Stewart would tell them No. That is taking away someone elses job. For those years, I had great Health insurance.

My gripe is the friigin Education in this country. Horrible.

BOB

I worked a non-union job for a few years that paid quite well, excellent benefits and all. Similar companies in the area were union and most of the blue collar guys felt that the only reason that pay was on par with union shops is that our company didn't want to have to deal with the union.

What's a "GG"? I know about "GS" and "GW" grades, but I don't think I've dealt with "GG" grades.

They are just different pay scales - but generally, GG positions fall under Intelligence or National Security positions....

My boss is a GG-11...

Not to pour gas on a fire but its a fact of life.....

Most unions only look out for themselves. Go to school and get a better job, one which does not require having a union backing you, one where the employer is glad to pay you well, give you full benefits and nice vacation.

(unless your a teacher, then that's the sacrifice you pay)

5-90 has some good points. some of these workers on assembly lines
in Ford are getting paid $60-$80K a year to put a plastic piece on your car. Several hundred "plastic piece's" and you have an expensive car.
When I was a Teamster, I got agood wage for driving a forklift. I busted my ass, got my job done in six hours. They'd try to get me to sweep the floors, the Union Stewart would tell them No. That is taking away someone elses job. For those years, I had great Health insurance.

My gripe is the friigin Education in this country. Horrible.

BOB

Yep. I was one of them thar "shop stewards" - and I was usually on the team that negotiated the contracts. I wanted fair pay and conditions to be sure, but I didn't consider anything "beneath" me - if the floor needed sweeping, it got done. If the bowl needed scrubbing, it got done.

I wouldn't let myself get dragooned into anything - especially if I hadn't been able to get my work done first - but if my work was done, I didn't have any trouble helping out. And, it set the example for everyone else.

Yep. I was one of them thar "shop stewards" - and I was usually on the team that negotiated the contracts. I wanted fair pay and conditions to be sure, but I didn't consider anything "beneath" me - if the floor needed sweeping, it got done. If the bowl needed scrubbing, it got done.

I wouldn't let myself get dragooned into anything - especially if I hadn't been able to get my work done first - but if my work was done, I didn't have any trouble helping out. And, it set the example for everyone else.

I like to pitch in whenever I can. But, in our Union shop it was considered taking money out of someone elses pocket. Like a truck driver pulling up, getting out and driving my forklift. The Teamsters took good care of me and my family.

I still have many issues with Government Unions.

BOB

So if you finish your job early they are supposed to pay you to do nothing or send you home without pay?

That's stupid, if your done doing what your job is you help someone else do theirs.

I am a ship-fitter, but when my job for that day is done I clean and organize all the welding and torch leads, and do whatever else is needed to keep things going.

I like to pitch in whenever I can. But, in our Union shop it was considered taking money out of someone elses pocket. Like a truck driver pulling up, getting out and driving my forklift. The Teamsters took good care of me and my family.

I still have many issues with Government Unions.

BOB

That's why it was "help" - not "do it for them." Someone was invariably up to their arse in alligators, and I didn't see any reason why someone else (who had finished for the time being...) couldn't help them get unburied from their work.

I negotiated that into the contracts as well - if someone needed help, help them. If you were caught up and no-one needed help (a rarity!) you could take a longish lunch, just let me know where I can get hold of you to recall you if things picked up again. It usually worked out, and everyone was pretty happy with the arrangement (possible exception being the Union leadership at the Local, but I wasn't working for them.)

part of it was that the other guys doing exact same job as me where slackers. they knew how to drag the job out for eight hours. That's not how I work. I work at one speed...100%.

btw, they gunned down my Local President. He went home one night, rolled his window down at his community entranceway, where you had to punch in a few numbers to open the gates. that's when they got him. He lived.

Yes, that business is still in good shape. it is the top grocery store chain in Chicago.

BOB

I'm Pro-Union.

I am thankful for the old time Union members that fought for the standard of living we all enjoy and the establishment of a middle class. You know, weekends off, 8 hour workday, health insurance and a pension plan.

Read your history folks.

I'm Pro-Union.

I am thankful for the old time Union members that fought for the standard of living we all enjoy and the establishment of a middle class. You know, weekends off, 8 hour workday, health insurance and a pension plan.

Read your history folks.

I'm thankful as well...but their time has come and gone. ;)

Back