• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 AW4

skiffy5

NAXJA Forum User
Had to shift quickly from Drive to Reverse to avoid another car in School Parking Lot. Drive Speed was less than 5 MPH. After going about 30 feet in Reverse, shift back to Drive was loose and Shift Selector traveled freely between Drive and Neutral. I now have to start in Drive and Reverse is found in Park position. On Start, Shift Selector is still unlocked from key, although I have to shift down to Drive which is now Neutral to start. I can still downshift to 3 if needed but selector displays 1/2. What did I do and how do I repair? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
i would guess that u need to adjust the shift cable under the shifter handle, if u search on here i am sure someone has a write up on it, or u need to adjust the nuetral safety switch hth

Looking in the Factory Service Manual, I can't tell for sure. There is a bracket underneath the could be bent that holds the cable end. I guess I would look underneath where the cable hooks up to the transmission and see if the cable sheath end is damaged or popped out. But I think it's most likely that something happened in the shifter mechanism under the console, so you'd have to pull that out and take a look.

Thing is, something probably bent to put it out of adjustment. You may need to straighten out a bracket. There is one holding each end of the cable. I know it's winter out, but if you can get underneath and take a look. That's where you need to adjust it anyway. Then if you can't get it to adjust in, you need to pull the console to take a look at the shifter side of the cable.

Back