• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PB blaster alternative (kinda aka name that product)

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Didnt know where to post this since it applies to all areas, but chose modified since its not advanced but its not stock.. I guess.. but I digress

Alright, so a while back I was watching a marathon of some show over thanksgiving week (not trucks, but one of those ones on speed TV in the powerblock) and they mentioned some "rust breaker" for lack of better words, something along the lines of PB blaster but they made it seem like it could be better. It was a 3 letter name, CXX (where the X's are letters I cant remember). I took a note of it in my cell to try it out, couldn't find it at the local store... then my cell got cleared and I lost the note.

The other day I was reading some "how do do XXXXX maintenence" article somewhere, maybe here, maybe from somewhere else, and I saw the name again... problem is that I cant remember the name of the product (except that I am pretty sure it starts with a C and I know its a 3 letter name or brand), and I also cant remember for the life of me where I saw the article/thread. Anyone know what I am talking about and can tell me the name?

Also along the same lines, a co-worker a while back had a mechanic with some apparently industrial strength stuff, maybe legal, maybe something which typically isnt legal... not sure. All I know is that my co-worker would bring every stuck nut/bolt he had on his ATV, Truck, motorcycle, whatever to the guy and he would pull out his unmarked bottle w/ eyedropper, put some stuff on it, and then the next day it would break free w/o issue. My co-worker could never get the name of the stuff (or what it was at all) from his mechanic, he just knew it worked... any idea what it might have been?

So anyway, this thread pretty much comes down to: care to post good alternatives to PB blaster if you have happened to come across something which works as well or better? Could be something traditional/store bought, could be something else (some liquid in an unmarked bottle which works wonders, as long as you know what it is and can tell us ;))

Kroil is some pretty good stuff.

I picked up an aerosol can of a Liquid Wrench product last summer that seems to work pretty well. Be forewarned, there are a couple of different strengths.

I suspect that the OP is referring to a C56 product. We always had a couple of cans on the workbench back home on the farm. Edit: Or was that CRC? Nuts...... red and black can.

Deep Creep. Hands down the best stuff I have used. It is Sea Foam. Basically if you get Deep Creep then it comes out as an aerosol that I think Foams up and seeps in better. But I have also just used Sea Foam in a squirt bottle and that worked well too. It freed up stuff that PBBlaster would not touch

ACF-50
Its what they use on the aircraft on aircraft carriers. (Salty water and all.) Its expensive but been told that it is the best. Im using it daily on my leaf springs, ill soon find out how good it is!!

ACF-50
Its what they use on the aircraft on aircraft carriers. (Salty water and all.) Its expensive but been told that it is the best. Im using it daily on my leaf springs, ill soon find out how good it is!!
Thats a corrosion preventative/control product,I would have my doubts about it used as a deep penetrant.

Not bad ideas thus far, gotta try some of them now. ChiXJeff, I think CRC is the stuff I saw. Not 100% sure that was it, but it definately sounds right and looking up the product online the can looks right as well (white can, black CRC label.) Maybe theres another with a similar name though.

Have to try the Deep Creep/Sea Foam approach though. There have been many times I ran out of PB mid project and had a can of Sea Foam in the back of the rig. Wish I knew I could just use that. Woulda saved me many walks to the store/calls for a ride. :D

I cant vouch for it as as penetrant as i havent used it in that capacity yet,
You may know alot more about this than me, its just what i was told. (and that it was way better than pb)I know that it worked very well on my motorbike at fighting rust, but heres what the website says. (I know that some products claim this and that)!!

[SIZE=+1]About ACF-50:[/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+0]ACF-50 was developed 15 years ago and has amassed a record of performance unique in the aerospace industry. Here are some of its unique properties:[/SIZE]
[/FONT]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 is an excellent penetrant.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 provides excellent low-shear lubrication to moving parts and cables.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 kills any corrosion currently in progress with just one application.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]Removal of the corrosion by-product is not necessary.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 is good for rubber, preventing it from cracking or drying out.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]In most applications, ACF-50's unique properties will last for 24 months before it is consumed and needs to be re-applied.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]The ultra-thin-film does not attract and hold salt crystals and dirt particles.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]The ultra-thin film does not "dry". It stays a flexible liquid and therefore seals the surface better as the surface expands and contracts.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 will not displace or melt any grease which is already in place. It will mix with it and make it more efficient.[/SIZE]

I cant vouch for it as as penetrant as i havent used it in that capacity yet,
You may know alot more about this than me, its just what i was told. (and that it was way better than pb)I know that it worked very well on my motorbike at fighting rust, but heres what the website says. (I know that some products claim this and that)!!

[SIZE=+1]About ACF-50:[/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+0]ACF-50 was developed 15 years ago and has amassed a record of performance unique in the aerospace industry. Here are some of its unique properties:[/SIZE]
[/FONT]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 is an excellent penetrant.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 provides excellent low-shear lubrication to moving parts and cables.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 kills any corrosion currently in progress with just one application.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]Removal of the corrosion by-product is not necessary.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 is good for rubber, preventing it from cracking or drying out.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]In most applications, ACF-50's unique properties will last for 24 months before it is consumed and needs to be re-applied.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]The ultra-thin-film does not attract and hold salt crystals and dirt particles.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]The ultra-thin film does not "dry". It stays a flexible liquid and therefore seals the surface better as the surface expands and contracts.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]ACF-50 will not displace or melt any grease which is already in place. It will mix with it and make it more efficient.[/SIZE]
Its generally used to treat the metal in aircraft,sprayed inside all of the fuselage and wings.The car guys have picked up on it also,using it inside body panels/doors/framerails/etc.

I've had a lot better experiences with PB Blaster than with this stuff.

Perhaps that is the case in your situation. I use PB Blast myself at home for my vehicles needs. The aero Kroil is better stuff though, and I have worked with it day in and day out. My last day job was working for precision turbo (www.precisionturbo.net). As many of you know iron rusts very fast. The exhaust housing of a turbo is made of iron.

Sometimes a turbo would come in for repair and there would be so much rust on the exhaust side you could not read the raised lettering on it. The prefferred method of cleaning was a scotch brite pad moistened with areo kroil. (as well as scotch brite equipped power tools dipped in kroil.) Made light work of the heavy rust. This same stuff was the oil of choice for snapped off bolts etc in the repair dept. Also it does not smell nearly as "potent" as PB blast and can be used in more enclosed areas.

Kroil is the real deal.

Back