• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can any one tell what the little red wire on the coil is

Captainhswh

NAXJA Forum User
so i have an 87 xj 4.0 and it was havein problems not wantin to shut off and every one told me it was the starter relay so i changed it and i still had the same problem and i pulled a lil red wire off the coil and no it works fine can anyone tell me what that is?
timcoillf2.th.jpg

wait wait, your telling me your jeep wouldnt turn off? that means she wants to go off roading and get dirty. i dont see the starter relay causing that problem. interesting.

My 88 dos'nt have that wire, i would check a FSM and see what it holds.

Best wiring diagram I have for the 87 4.0 is in the Haynes.

Shows a DK GRN/RED wire between the alternator and ignition coil. Same wire runs to the ECU where it becomes a DK GRN/ORG wire that runs between the ECU and fuel injectors.

There is a RED wire that runs from the ECU to Diagnostic Connector 1, and to the fuel pump relay.

That's all I got.

Thats the wire you cut to difuse the bomb.

Captain, whatever you do, do not, i repeat, do not cut the blue wire! haha

Wait just one second--could that red wire be the fabled "XJ perpetual motion" system?

well if you really want to know where the red wire leads to...its the flex-capacitor.

oh and make sure you let me know when you find it :p

It sounds to me like the red wire is not supposed to be there. Trace the wire from the coil and see where it ends up, then we can determine what it is for.

I just had the coil out on my 89. There was no wire to that spade connector and its not shown. I think maybe its extra connection for a tach signal or diagnosis. This coil module is common across lots of other Renault vehicles so maybe its not needed or used when installed in the Jeep?

All the connections I had were via the normal connectors. One connector had +12v ignition feed, ground, and the tach output that goes to the diagnostic connector. The middle connector had the input signal from the ECU.

Captainhswh, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to open up that wiring harness and trace the little red wire to its destination.

This posting will self destruct in 5 seconds.

I would just put some tape over the end and ignore that wire until something doesn't work or works incorrectly.

Good Luck.

I had forgotten about that wire! LMAO!

Back