• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle ball joints

BADDRAPP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I took the plunge and got WJ front knuckles and brakes for my 1990 XJ. The question is what ball joints do I need to replace to use the WJ knuckle?

You can use the WJ ones top and bottom, the uppers are the same.

Buy quality balljoints. Dana/Spicer or Moog.

If you wheel half as hard as us west coast boys do, the parts house brands wont last a year.

I used XJ's top and bottom. I talked to a few other people that have done the same and have not had a problem. I did read the taper is slightly different on the WJ bottoms, but the XJ ones seems to work.

I used XJ's top and bottom. I talked to a few other people that have done the same and have not had a problem. I did read the taper is slightly different on the WJ bottoms, but the XJ ones seems to work.

They do work, until the knuckle starts to wear at the interference point and gets sloppy, then you tear through balljoints every 4 months until you replace the knuckle..

In this case, this is the voice of experience. Do it right the first time. =)

They do work, until the knuckle starts to wear at the interference point and gets sloppy, then you tear through balljoints every 4 months until you replace the knuckle..

In this case, this is the voice of experience. Do it right the first time. =)

I did some measuring yesterday with some high tech scope at work.

My findings were:
XJ balljoints have a taper of 7.29 degrees (total, not to center line)
WJ balljoints have a taper of 9.31 degrees (total, not to center line)

YMMV, I am going to change mine out...

WJ lowers are VERY expensive compaired to XJ lowers.

Their all expensive? Moogs are $69 now for the bottoms. It's hard not to throw in the parts house brands at $29 when they come with a lifetime replacement too.

Their all expensive? Moogs are $69 now for the bottoms. It's hard not to throw in the parts house brands at $29 when they come with a lifetime replacement too.

Priced them through work and the WJ ones for the same brand were at least $40 more each. Maybe ill see if a buddy can get them cheaper through his work through NAPA.

i have been running my dana 30 lowers from my xj for a couple months - the xj sits 9 days out of 10 and has not seen any off road yet - no bad issues so far but i have heard they can score and rub out the inside of the knuck because of the play or gap betweeun the surface of the joint and the knuckle itself... now i just need a free weekend to do ball joints! I have my lowe WJ joint and stock uppers brand new ready ro rock and roll...

Back