• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple of questions for my new(used) XJ

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm not new to Jeeps, but this is my first XJ. I bought a 98 Limited with 135K for $2900. The previous owner was very honest with me about a couple of quirks which I've taken care of already(replaced the radiator, t-stat, cleaned and rebuilt the NSS, spark plugs, distr cap & rotor, and rewired a broken parking light switch). My question is about two things happening with my Jeep. I've noticed when I open the rear hatch I do not get the interior dome lights illuminating. When I open any other door or us the headlight switch it works perfectly along with all the other lights. There's also a rear hatch light on the dash that does not work when the hatch is open. I pulled the rear plastic housing on the hatch to see if any wiring harness was unplugged....everything appears to be original and unmolested. The defroster, wiper, brake and signal lights work perfectly. What could be causing this?

My second question is in regards to a slight coolant smell I'm getting when I step outside the Jeep after my 10 mile freeway commute. I've found a couple of postings regarding this and it seems to be a mixed bag. I have been checking the coolant level(both in the recovery tank and in the radiator) and it doesn't appear to be going down at all(after a month and a half and about 1000 miles). The PO did tell me he blew a radiator hose which sprayed all over the engine. After I replaced the radiator and t-stat I steam-cleaned the motor but I'm still getting the slight smell. I never get it in the cabin so I'm not thinking heater core and if the level isn't moving at all how can it be leaking? Could this still be residual from the leak/spray of the blown hose?

1. there is a button on the rear dome light. a lil black square. with the rear hatch open, press the black button. the interior lights should come on. (i love that feature for when i have a cinematic adventure at the drive in lol)

2. with jeep running, look under the car for any drips. Use your nose! and find the source! its worked for me :p

#2. Leaks, especially ones that don't create much of a drop in the coolant reservoir can be pretty darn tough to isolate. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do for you as far as online help. Check the usual suspects, hoses, water pump weep hole, etc. Eventually you'll find it. Try searching for it in a quiet place with the engine at operating temperature (full cooling system pressure); most apt to get onto it in that state. May even hear it hissing out. Very doubtful that this is residual coolant; not having driven it this many miles.....Enjoy your 98!

Thanks for such a quick reply.....

On my Jeep, I don't see a button on the rear dome light. The light itself appears to be the switch...a portion of the plastic is concave inwards and you can push upwards(towards the roof) and the whole dome light cover clicks like a switch. When I try clicking it...nothing happens.

I'm also not seeing any drips of any kind....the smell seems to be coming from the front of the Jeep...or at least that's where I'm noticing it...through the grill as I walk in front of it or at a red light with the window down when I begin accelerating again. Plus, if it were leaking...wouldn't my leve be going down? It's been a 1000 miles with no reduction in fluid level and the Jeep runs nice and cool just below half way on the gauge.......

1. there is a button on the rear dome light. a lil black square. with the rear hatch open, press the black button. the interior lights should come on. (i love that feature for when i have a cinematic adventure at the drive in lol)

If this doesn´t work check the switch into the hatch lock....I had to repair mine one week ago for second time. It could be rusty. If so clean it with 3in1 or WD40 style lubricant.

Good luck

Regards from Spain

Thanks for such a quick reply.....

On my Jeep, I don't see a button on the rear dome light. The light itself appears to be the switch...a portion of the plastic is concave inwards and you can push upwards(towards the roof) and the whole dome light cover clicks like a switch. When I try clicking it...nothing happens.

I'm also not seeing any drips of any kind....the smell seems to be coming from the front of the Jeep...or at least that's where I'm noticing it...through the grill as I walk in front of it or at a red light with the window down when I begin accelerating again. Plus, if it were leaking...wouldn't my leve be going down? It's been a 1000 miles with no reduction in fluid level and the Jeep runs nice and cool just below half way on the gauge.......

It is possible that the PO replaced the rear dome light with a front dome light (which doesnt have the black button) why he would do that i have no idea lol. take the clear plastic cover off. remove the washer nut thingys holding it up and pull it out. make sure there should be a connecter right there that plugs into the button. If it is just hanging there not connected, get the right dome light housing. If you do somehow miraculously find the black button then plug that SOB in.
you're gonna have to sniff reallll hard if you wanna find the source. make sure the fins on your radiator are not damaged.

can you post a pic real quick of the rear dome light? it's hard for me to believe that theres no button

My 91 has a very small leak on the side of the radiator and you can smell it but not really see a noticeable reduction in fluid 'cause it's such a small leak.
Keep looking around, you'll find your leak.
Don't just assume your new parts are good as well. Things happen and bad parts have been sold.
Good luck!

can you post a pic real quick of the rear dome light? it's hard for me to believe that theres no button

#1.) Does the light go on when you twist the headlight switch? Is the bulb working?

#2.) Do you have a heater control valve (not sure when they deleted that). Is your radiator drain (petcock) closed completely or possibly leaking at all (passenger side by down low on the radiator)? Do you have a flushing tee on your heater hoses that could be seeping?

"When I open any other door or us the headlight switch it works perfectly along with all the other lights" ya paradise they work when every other door is open and when he maually turns them on by using the headlight switch. which is why i was thinking he just needs to push the black button, and especially since he is new to xj's that seems to be the fix.

park your xj on clean asphault, and run it for 5+ minutes, and locate the leak.

should it be under the front of the engine, but before the radiator, it might be your water pump telling you to replace it (no biggie, thats how they tell you its time)

its called weeping, just like on a window.

The domelight sounds like the later model light- pop the lens out and check the bulb. And that "hatch light switch" on the dash- are you sure that isn't the defroster or rear wiper switch?

As far as the coolant smell, you might just be smelling the overflow tank- my 97 smells like coolant occasionally, even when the rad isn't leaking- I think it's the coolant flowing into the overflow once I shut it off.

Ok, get your inspection mirror and and a work light. Place the work light so you can check the water pump weep hole, but so it won't get damaged when you start the engine. Start the engine. Check the water pump weep hole, water pump gasket, t/housing for seepage with the engine running--PLEASE avoid getting caught in or struck by the moving parts. Small amounts of coolant will disappear due to the fan/belt movement and the engine's heat, but the smell lingers.

Another way, and don't you dare laugh, is to stick a hose up your nose! I use some clear vinyl tubing I bought at a Schucks, but you can get it most anywhere. Pinch the unused nostril closed and move the open end of the tubing around the engine compartment. It works. I have found a lot of small, high pressure leaks using a tube--leaks that didn't show up with pressure testing.

My 2001 uses the rear dome light as the switch by pushing on it like you said it clicks. Since the light on your dash isn't coming on as well i would definately check switch on the hatch. those commonly wear out on other vehicles. I just looked at mine and all i can figure is that the switch is in the hatch. Alot of times i will get a part i need at a parts store just to see what it looks like and it helps me figure where it is. And if i don't need it i just return it.

"When I open any other door or us the headlight switch it works perfectly along with all the other lights" ya paradise they work when every other door is open and when he maually turns them on by using the headlight switch. which is why i was thinking he just needs to push the black button, and especially since he is new to xj's that seems to be the fix.

...I don't see a button on the rear dome light.

I guess I need to lern to read more betterer. I thought I read there was no button?!? There's gotta be a switch back there somewhere.

since when is there a light on the dash saying the rear hatch is open??? i want that! why not me???? LOL.

Usually it's my wife saying "Hey stupid, your rear hatch is open". Never fails, but still no light!! :laugh:

haha ya, man a light would have come in handy before all of my tools spilled all over the freeway! I have an exhaust on it now so if it does open i can tell! lol

When I replaced my rear hatch with an older year model without automatic door locking hardware my ability to turn on the rear compartment light stopped, even though it still worked every time I opened any other door or turned on all the inner lights with the headlight control. That made me think that the on off control for that light was routed through that piece of hardware somehow....wired in such a way that when opened, the light received power from that source(power lock supply)only. If you have the power lock feature, perhaps you have a faulty connection from there to the rear hatch light fixture. Other than that, most of my other electrical issues were usually related to poor grounding connections. Just a thought.

Back